Another Football First For Our City.

ON THIS DAY: 143 years ago today 

The worlds first ever floodlit football match took place at Bramall Lane on 14th October 1878. 

It was an experimental match between ‘The Blues’ & ‘The Reds’ to see if football matches could take place after sunset. 

An estimated 20,000 people attended the match to witness 12 large lightbulbs illuminate the pitch on this historic night of football. 

Newspapers reported the following morning that the lights sometimes caused the players to be ‘dazzled’ and make occasional mistakes, but It was ultimately hailed as a success, and led to further experiments and trials before the football league finally sanctioned the use of floodlights in the 1950’s, with the first league match under lights being played at Fratton Park in Portsmouth, as Pompey took on Newcastle United on the 22nd Feb 1956.

100 years later they were still dazzled. In particular John Hope. He went up for a straightforward high ball and it went straight through his hands. It was an awful evening, one I try and forget. I can ‘t remember the score or the opposition. No doubt some kind soul will resurrect the misery….

Yes SWFC staged this at  the Bramall Lane Cricket Ground in 1878, very innovative for the day.

30 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Yes SWFC staged this at  the Bramall Lane Cricket Ground in 1878, very innovative for the day.

Not sure about that it was the reds and blues staged by the  Sheffield FA and electricity company with the best local players involved and the Clegg brothers captained each side. No mention of SWFC although we can be sure "The Wednesday" players were involved in some capacity.

Edited by Alextopman

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Yes there was only one pro team then , still should be .

22 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Actually there wasn't,

12 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Sheffield FC formed 1857, Hallam FC formed 1860 (playing on the world’s oldest football ground in Sandygate).

Edited by crookesey

26 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Sheffield FC formed 1857, Hallam FC formed 1860 (playing on the world’s oldest football ground in Sandygate).

Crooksey ,Alex , read my post again .

12 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Crystal Palace formed in 1861 were the worlds first professional football team by the way, I didn’t want to be pedantic, but I reckon that ‘pro’ didn’t quite mean then what it means today.

Edited by crookesey

41 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Crystal Palace formed in 1861 were the worlds first professional football team by the way, I didn’t want to be pedantic, but I reckon that ‘pro’ didn’t quite mean then what it means today.

They weren't professional in 1861.

When did they turn professional?.

What do you reckon "pro" meant then ?.

Edited by Alextopman

11 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

55 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Crooksey ,Alex , read my post again .

I have and it's still wrong.

Edited by Alextopman

6 hours ago, Alextopman said:

I have and it's still wrong.

good glad it is , Thats why I posted it just to be a ****.