John Burkhill: One In A Million

Went to the first showing of a brilliant documentary John Burkhill: One in a Million” at the Showroom Cinema this morning about the legend himself. Really emotional and inspirational film!

Our portrait competition winner Abby Charlesworth also surprised John with a print of his portrait - the original is going to be auctioned for Macmillan Cancer Support shortly (with a few of our other amazing artist ones!)

John was then also presented with a second British Empire Medal by the Lord Mayor.

H's raised over £800,000 for Macmillan, talk about best of Sheffield!

245954039_10157878629686207_3232452113905211691_n.jpg

245810726_10157878629691207_6590556302821159045_n.jpg

I saw John in town about 4 years ago.  I put some money in his bucket, he thanked me and said it was for a good cause.  I told him I knew and I had an appointment that afternoon at Western Park.  

He gave me a big hug.    Never was a hug more welcome or more appreciated.

What a hug.  What a man!

Ive never been fortunate enough to meet John but when I do I'll be sure to stuff a couple of notes into his collection tin.

He's a legend and Sheffield is rightly proud of him and his work.

How he’s not won a pride of Britain award or got a knighthood ,considering how much money he’s raised is bizarre…..he is one in a million ! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

How he’s not won a pride of Britain award or got a knighthood ,considering how much money he’s raised is bizarre…..he is one in a million ! 

Agreed.  Do people have to be nominated for such things and if so where?

hes a top man,had the privilage to know him well in some ways,he opens our event each year,hes a top man.short story one year we unfortunatly had hurricane bertha,

it rained from 5am to 7pm non-stop except 2-3.30pm,well the show went on,john walked to lowedges from his home several miles,opened the show,collected money and despite our offer of a taxi,walked home,with money in his bucket topped up by water,in fact we replaced the cheque we gave him as it was bits of wet paper,top man

LETS WORK TO GET HIM TO A MILLION POUNDS FOLKS,AS THATS HIS AMBITION

Edited by bassett one

On 16/10/2021 at 23:56, Sheridan1-0 said:

Captain Tom walked round his garden 100 times, raised millions thanks to the Media, and received a Knighthood..

John Burkhill has walked the length of Britain many times.

I don't begrudge Captain Tom, but surely John should be Knighted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Padders said:

Captain Tom walked round his garden 100 times, raised millions thanks to the Media, and received a Knighthood..

John Burkhill has walked the length of Britain many times.

I don't begrudge Captain Tom, but surely John should be Knighted.

Yes he should but how do we make it happen?