National Hate Crime Week. Should Shouting At Or Close Passing Cyclists Be A Hate

National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?

• Yes
    • No
    • What does close pass mean?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/10/21 at 23:59

On 14/10/2021 at 10:46, HeHasRisen said:

How on earth are you classing this as a "hate" crime? Are cyclists a minority group as specified by law?

Correct - otherwise half the football fans in the country would end up being charged every week in the footy season.

I drive in the Peak District National Park on a daily basis and am far more concerned about motorists who drive in very poor visibility without lights and never signal than I am about cyclists.

if there's a way of imposing a fine this government will find a way of introducing it 🙄

Monty Pythons arrested for "Wearing a loud shirt in public" can't be far off the statute books  :roll:

I'd go for the wearing of baseball caps the wrong way round an instant prison sentence (unless your a welder) :hihi:

Keep safe out there. 

I will bet the 23%  are super fit ,and the 77%  lard arses 

Edited by cuttsie

On 15/10/2021 at 17:17, Caswall said:

No. I do get it - you are the one who does not. 

I don't have any problem with a cyclist holding the centre of the lane when there is potential hazard or the road isn't wide enough to overtake - I have a problem with the cyclists who do so when the road is wide enough to overtake them and there is no other hazard or reason for them to block the road.

Thank you for your honesty. So how does it make you feel and how do you react?

18 minutes ago, Findlay said:

So how does it make you feel and how do you react?

I find cyclists on my road very irritating.

They're maxing out at five or ten miles per hour slower than I would normally, comfortably be driving along at and I can't seem to get by because they are effectively a lane wide and there are occasional cars coming in the other direction. They have as much right as I do to be on the road and because they are more vulnerable than those in cars, I need to take more than usual levels of care to provide for their safety. It would help if when I did get by they did not cheat me of my gains at the next set of lights by undertaking and then (sometimes) pretending the lights do not apply to them.

The most important thing is that they're safe but boy they are a cause of irritation.

What annoys me greatly about cyclists is that they clamour for infrastructure to be built specifically for them, at the cost of EVERYONE's taxes, in order to maximise their safety but then refuse to use it, putting themselves in the more dangerous position of in a live lane filled with large vehicles.

They whine that when they do use the infrastructure and it happens to intersect another road that they have to give way, just like any other minor>major road junction does. 
They demand that other road users share the road space but then whinge about shared pedestrian/cycle paths, usually ones that have the separating line where they are expected to conceed to pedestrians. 

Most road users don't respect cyclists because cyclists demand respect and give none. Respect is EARNED not freely given. 

24 minutes ago, Resident said:

What annoys me greatly about cyclists is that they clamour for infrastructure to be built specifically for them, at the cost of EVERYONE's taxes, in order to maximise their safety but then refuse to use it, putting themselves in the more dangerous position of in a live lane filled with large vehicles.

They whine that when they do use the infrastructure and it happens to intersect another road that they have to give way, just like any other minor>major road junction does. 
They demand that other road users share the road space but then whinge about shared pedestrian/cycle paths, usually ones that have the separating line where they are expected to conceed to pedestrians. 

Most road users don't respect cyclists because cyclists demand respect and give none. Respect is EARNED not freely given. 

Do they? Who was the last person who made these whines, and when was it? I've been out and about on my bike a bit in the last week, and used the cycle lane under the Eccy Rd roundabout - there were pedestrians in the cycle lane as usual but I just went round them and it was fine - and I used the cycle lane on Penistone Road. Not a whine or a whinge escaped my mouth 🙂

48 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Do they? Who was the last person who made these whines, and when was it? I've been out and about on my bike a bit in the last week, and used the cycle lane under the Eccy Rd roundabout - there were pedestrians in the cycle lane as usual but I just went round them and it was fine - and I used the cycle lane on Penistone Road. Not a whine or a whinge escaped my mouth 🙂

same here 

On 14/10/2021 at 10:13, West 77 said:

Certainly not a hate crime.  Some motorists are guilty of bad driving and many cyclists are guilty of bad cycling on public highways. 

On 14/10/2021 at 19:16, Caswall said:

I didn't suggest the rule only applies to narrow lanes - I meant to need to hog the middle only applies then, but cyclists often do so from poor (or selfish and stubborn)  judgement when keeping left would allow safe space for an overtake. 

On 14/10/2021 at 23:36, Caswall said:

Pure selfishness.  Same with a  lot of the narrow roads out in the Peak, especially towards and around Chatsworth, often with miles of solid white lines - horrendous lack of consideration for others.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Can you explain your evidence for this please?

10 hours ago, Findlay said:

Can you explain your evidence for this please?

1st paragraph - Experiences by being the driver of large vehicles. 

2nd paragraph, various interaction responses from cyclists when such a topic crops up & personal interactions with cyclists.

Also, I left this out, mostly because it's already been said, however the majority of cyclists I come across whilst driving around South Yorkshire fail:

1. To have a road legal bicycle, usually missing required reflectors/lights at night 
  2. To adhere to road signage (using left/right turn only lanes to go straight, against one way systems, riding through strictly pedestrain only zone, marked by NO VEHICLES signage, which includes cycles.)
  3. To adhere to traffic signals
  4. To signal their intent via the use of hand signals
  5. To not put themselves in harms way because they don't want to wait. (Recently witnessed 2 cyclists attempting to squeeze inbetween 2 large vehicles sat side by side at traffic lights on a dual carriageway, the gap was less than 1.5m ;))
  6. To not break the law by cycling on the pavement (usually to circumvent lights/one way systems).

For your reference I drive over 4000 miles total around South Yorkshire per month between my job & personal driving so when you think about dismissing what I've said as infrequent instances, let me assure you some or all of the above I witness DAILY, very often multiple times. 

So, the natural progression used to be, Cycle (for work & or pleasure) – Motorcycle – 3-Wheeler (& when you couldn’t get all the kids in one of Reliant’s finest) – Car - then Lorry for those of us who enjoy driving as a living.

Successive governments have done their best to discourage Motorcyclist and the young from driving (& progressing onto driving larger vehicles), but the car, as a form of everyday transport has flourished.

Where am I going?

Are we not ALL road users?

Did, while you were being taught to drive, did your instructor tell you part of driving was to HATE Cyclists, Tractor drivers, pedestrians Volvo drivers, BMW drivers, Bus drivers, etc, etc, etc, etc?

Simple answer – NO - he/ she didn’t.

You were taught to Keep Your Distance & how to anticipate what other Road users ‘MIGHT DO’.

Has something changed?

Again, the answer is – NO.

If someone, car driver, cyclist or pedestrian has put themselves in danger YOU are responsible for Your Actions.

Things that make me Laugh.

Drivers who Rant & Rave at other road users who have gotten them selves in the wrong lane.

There isn’t one of us who hasn’t done it. Do I HATE the driver? – NO.

If you are a Driver of any ability, the built-in 6th sense that the Driver at the side of you is going to want to shift lane has already kicked in. If you want to be Bloody minded – suit yourself, prevent him for doing so, but don’t forget it might be You in a new town or simply in the wrong lane at some point.

Cyclists are, or can be, a law unto themselves, always have been, yes, some jump lights, Ride on pavements, don’t adhere to the Highway Code etc. What business is that of Yours? – None.

YOU are the only one in charge of - YOUR VEHICLE.

So, what if the Cyclist / Tractor driver (etc, etc) in front of you is impeding your way have you any right to endanger them or worse still yourself & passengers?

Again, the answer is a big fat NO.

Dogs and young children both have the potential to endanger themselves in front of you, should you HATE them?

NO, - You should have anticipated the situation beforehand.

Not putting yourself in danger, anticipating what other are going to do are all part & parcel of the art of driving.

Yes, I see some very strange actions from all types of road users out there to the point of speechlessness (Who shouted Hurray?).

Does HATE come into my daily driving NO – Disbelief ?-  Yes.

Keep safe out there

Leave HATE at home.8)