National Hate Crime Week. Should Shouting At Or Close Passing Cyclists Be A Hate

National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?

• Yes
    • No
    • What does close pass mean?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/10/21 at 23:59

That's why there are two road positions taught.

Secondary position  - 0.75m from the kerb or arms length so cars can get past when its clear leaving a 1.5m gap as in the first post.

Primary position - when approaching junctions or when its not safe to overtake.

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

Many moons ago when I was a motorcycle instructor we used to teach riders to ride in the middle of the lane. The rationale was that you were midway between hazards. Eg. Dozy pedestrians stepping off the kerb and oncoming traffic. The thing is even a learner motorcycle is easily capable of keeping up with traffic flow and hence is not slowing anyone down. I personally advised people not to get a 50cc moped restricted to 30mph at 16 years old. Fast enough to get into trouble but not fast enough to get you out. I get the advice to cyclists and don’t close pass them but Jesus Christ guys, if you are a recreational cyclist and think it’s okay to plod up Baslow hill with a half mile of traffic grinding along in second gear behind you then you really need to have a good think about that.

Pure selfishness.  Same with a  lot of the narrow roads out in the Peak, especially towards and around Chatsworth, often with miles of solid white lines - horrendous lack of consideration for others.

14 hours ago, Caswall said:

Unfortunately your sense of entitlement and selfish attitude, deliberately obstructing car drivers by driving in the middle of the lane, is exactly why so many drivers loathe cyclists.  

13 hours ago, Caswall said:

And that scheme encourages cyclists to hog the middle of a lane, holding back traffic when it IS safe to overtake.   It may be a minority of cyclists who do this, but it is not a small minority.

Cyclists are most certainly not gifted with divine wisdom which elevates their judgement beyond that of motorists.

13 hours ago, Caswall said:

Hardly.   

What you claim only applies with very narrow lanes.  When lanes are wide enough, there is often plenty of space to overtake a cyclist safely even with oncoming traffic IF the cyclist is in a reasonable and considerate position - keeping to the left. 

12 hours ago, Caswall said:

I didn't suggest the rule only applies to narrow lanes - I meant to need to hog the middle only applies then, but cyclists often do so from poor (or selfish and stubborn)  judgement when keeping left would allow safe space for an overtake. 

8 hours ago, Caswall said:

Pure selfishness.  Same with a  lot of the narrow roads out in the Peak, especially towards and around Chatsworth, often with miles of solid white lines - horrendous lack of consideration for others.

You just don't get it do you?

Why not think of it another way. If a car is indicating left or indicating right you know that they are going to do something like move left, move right or overtake.

If a cyclist moves to the right side of the lane you could interpret that they are going to turn right. 

If they are in the middle of the road you could interpret that the rider senses a hazard which you are oblivious to and it is not safe to overtake in the lane keeping the rider and YOU safe.

To get a sense of perspective, a cyclist holds you up for 20 seconds going round a bend or moving up to the next set of lights but then you are prepared to sit in a queue of cars holding you up for ten minutes. 

Edited by Findlay

Guest sibon

But enough about your driving.

I agree lets remove the solid white lines'

Baslow hill to Owler Bar here I come ------- 🏍️🏍️🏍️--------

15 hours ago, ab6262 said:

ha ha really

No, not really, just some no-mark threatening to drive her car at other road users.

19 hours ago, Caswall said:

And that scheme encourages cyclists to hog the middle of a lane, holding back traffic when it IS safe to overtake.   It may be a minority of cyclists who do this, but it is not a small minority.

Cyclists are most certainly not gifted with divine wisdom which elevates their judgement beyond that of motorists.

But they are in a much better position to judge when they are in a situation where it would put their safety at risk if the car behind attempted to squeeze past them- it is then both prescribed and appropriate to move temporarily into primary position.

Edited by onewheeldave

8 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

No, not really, just some no-mark threatening to drive her car at other road users.

another key"bored" warrior, doesnt get out much, trying weak insults and get your facts right he not her! and by the way where did i say drive at other road users???

9 hours ago, Findlay said:

You just don't get it do you?

If they are in the middle of the road you could interpret that the rider senses a hazard which you are oblivious to and it is not safe to overtake in the lane keeping the rider and YOU safe.

No. I do get it - you are the one who does not. 

I don't have any problem with a cyclist holding the centre of the lane when there is potential hazard or the road isn't wide enough to overtake - I have a problem with the cyclists who do so when the road is wide enough to overtake them and there is no other hazard or reason for them to block the road.

5 minutes ago, Caswall said:

No. I do get it - you are the one who does not. 

I don't have any problem with a cyclist holding the centre of the lane when there is potential hazard or the road isn't wide enough to overtake - I have a problem with the cyclists who do so when the road is wide enough to overtake them and there is no other hazard or reason for them to block the road.

well said totally agree.

4 hours ago, ab6262 said:

another key"bored" warrior, doesnt get out much, trying weak insults and get your facts right he not her! and by the way where did i say drive at other road users???

Nope. Out regularly on my bike, I'll look out for you giving me a t-cut pass, was that not you inferring that you will drive at other road users that you seem to have an irrational hatred for? Do you actually try to put other people's lives in danger or is it just a bit of grandstanding? Hopefully it's the latter, because if you really think it reasonable to drive dangerously close to other road users, you need to calm yourself down. Imagine thinking that the appropriate response to being delayed momentarily by some mum or dad cycling to work is to threaten them with your car, or to endanger them. Is that the kind of person you are?