National Hate Crime Week. Should Shouting At Or Close Passing Cyclists Be A Hate

National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?

• Yes
    • No
    • What does close pass mean?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/10/21 at 23:59

When I ride my bike to work, like people drive to work, I am often greeted with "Get to the edge of the road!" This is usually always accompanied by an angry self important tone. 

When I was moving tanks and helicopters by road people were a little more respectful.

I am not going to ride in the gutter so I can get drivers passing within six inches of me to get past and then stop at the queue of traffic at the next lights forcing me to either brake or change direction.

If it is safe to overtake I will ride in the secondary position. If it is not safe to overtake I will ride in the primary position, which is the middle of the lane,

This is a forward indication for drivers behind that is is not deemed safe by the rider in front to overtake

Riders may move into the primary position on tree bound bends or they can hear a car in front approaching, something which car drivers cannot sense.

Close Pass is an initiative being rolled out by police forces across the UK to reduce the number of accidents caused by drivers not giving enough space to people riding bikes. South Yorkshire Police have a number of riders attending the Bikeability scheme which includes the National Standards set by the Department for Transport. They are routinely going into live traffic, putting themselves at risk to identify bad drivers who, on purpose, drive too close to cyclists.

I am particularly interested as my children are wanting independence along with their friends, reaching the age where they want to be out cycling on the roads so I’m keen to find out about anything that can make this safer for them.

close-pass.jpg

How on earth are you classing this as a "hate" crime? Are cyclists a minority group as specified by law?

Cyclists experiencing the same treatment up and down the country are going to be calling for that very thing 

In which case they are idiots.

How about cyclists shouting at motorists, going to be demanding the same applies or is it a biased one way street here?

Edited by HeHasRisen

when you pay some road tax and insurance for your pedal cycles people may take you more seriously! and yes you are hated, you hold traffic up on country roads , you cut across pavements to avoid lights, you are generally obnoxious and think you are saving the planet!....... you are not.

i will give you a t cut pass!

Guest sibon
14 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

when you pay some road tax and insurance for your pedal cycles people may take you more seriously! and yes you are hated, you hold traffic up on country roads , you cut across pavements to avoid lights, you are generally obnoxious and think you are saving the planet!....... you are not.

I was going to vote no in the poll.

I’ve changed my mind.

36 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

😄

You say it as you see it.

25 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Certainly not a hate crime.  Some motorists are guilty of bad driving and many cyclists are guilty of bad cycling on public highways. 

Very true.

Beware this 'Hate crime' syndrome. 

Unfortunately you can't change human nature by legislation, nor can you tell people what to think.

I'm as much against discrimination, unpleasantness, vitriol etc as the next, and I can honestly say I don't 'hate' anybody, but that's more to do with the way I was brought up than anything else, certainly not legislation.  I get ****** off in various circumstances, as does everybody, but that's a long way from a 'hate crime.'

And you have to wonder what comes next? What misdemenour is going to be seen as a hate crime that you can be locked up for? We are losing our freedom of speech to the 'woke' brigade and 'Hate crimes' are potentially another chance to limit our freedom of expression. 

I cannot think of a single hate crime which isn't already adequately covered with a current law, such as breach of the peace etc.

Let's redress 'Hate' with understanding, education and reason.

So a motorist has to  keep a distance of 1.5, metres from a cyclist whilst overtaking. ?   Therefore,  a cyclist must keep 1.5, metres from a motorist when overtaking ?  No doubt the police will be chasing all the riders who overtake on the left a few inches away from cars ? - thought not.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Beware this 'Hate crime' syndrome. 

Unfortunately you can't change human nature by legislation, nor can you tell people what to think.

I'm as much against discrimination, unpleasantness, vitriol etc as the next, and I can honestly say I don't 'hate' anybody, but that's more to do with the way I was brought up than anything else, certainly not legislation.  I get ****** off in various circumstances, as does everybody, but that's a long way from a 'hate crime.'

And you have to wonder what comes next? What misdemenour is going to be seen as a hate crime that you can be locked up for? We are losing our freedom of speech to the 'woke' brigade and 'Hate crimes' are potentially another chance to limit our freedom of expression. 

I cannot think of a single hate crime which isn't already adequately covered with a current law, such as breach of the peace etc.

Let's redress 'Hate' with understanding, education and reason.

There is so much hate crime I think we need a special body to enforce theses laws, after all we cannot have people thinking non approved thoughts - maybe they should have a distinct uniform - black, with a peaked cap and jackboots would look good.