Northumberland Road Unauthorised Free Parking

17 hours ago, martin1print said:

A bloke did that at Bristol zoo and got away with it for 20 years .....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13904380/bristol-zoo-car-park-myth/

That said the link was from "The Sun" so maybe we should take it with a pinch of salt.

Yea that story is clearly rubbish.

To give a clear perspective of the site I have uploaded 3 photos to the top of my flickr page at this link:

martin1print

These were taken Friday 15 October 2021.   About 20 cars parked today and I've noticed that as it gets busier each vehicle appears to be edging closer to the cavernous hole as you can probably see on the photo.   I would guess the hole is 40 to 50 feet deep in places.   This begs the question if there was a mud slide and a car was wrecked or worse still, passengers injured or killed, would the motor insurance company pay out?  Or would the land owner pay out?  I have my doubts about both scenarios and wouldn't risk my own car parked there.  Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, martin1print said:

To give a clear perspective of the site I have uploaded 3 photos to the top of my flickr page at this link:

martin1print

These were taken Friday 15 October 2021.   About 20 cars parked today and I've noticed that as it gets busier each vehicle appears to be edging closer to the cavernous hole as you can probably see on the photo.   I would guess the hole is 40 to 50 feet deep in places.   This begs the question if there was a mud slide and a car was wrecked or worse still, passengers injured or killed, would the motor insurance company pay out?  Or would the land owner pay out?  I have my doubts about both scenarios and wouldn't risk my own car parked there.  Any thoughts?

In that scenario probably the land owner:

The land was not secured, anyone could walk right in.

The area was inherently dangerous

No effort was made to secure the dangerous area

No effort was made to rectify the dangerous area

No warning signs have been placed warning of the danger

1 hour ago, geared said:

In that scenario probably the land owner:

The land was not secured, anyone could walk right in.

The area was inherently dangerous

No effort was made to secure the dangerous area

No effort was made to rectify the dangerous area

No warning signs have been placed warning of the danger

Thanks for clarifying that.   It would appear that the land owner has gone AWOL, so any claims would be placed in the "pending" tray.  Even on foot it's dangerous, very steep banking with a lot of debris.  The site needs securing properly with "Danger Keep Out" signs.  The council will probably wait for an accident to happen then in response secure the place after the event.  If you haven't seen it and you are passing nearby, take a look over the wall.  The whole place is quite shocking.

Edited by martin1print

I drive past here twice a day as I work locally, and have noticed the increase in parking here.

Think it started with just a couple of cars! 

The pics from Friday show how it's snowballed in use, I was surprised how many cars there were in there.

3 hours ago, sheffandy said:

I drive past here twice a day as I work locally, and have noticed the increase in parking here.

Think it started with just a couple of cars! 

The pics from Friday show how it's snowballed in use, I was surprised how many cars there were in there.

Yes.  Last Friday they were crammed in like sardines in a tin.

On 15/10/2021 at 20:22, martin1print said:

Thanks for clarifying that.   It would appear that the land owner has gone AWOL, so any claims would be placed in the "pending" tray.  Even on foot it's dangerous, very steep banking with a lot of debris.  The site needs securing properly with "Danger Keep Out" signs.  The council will probably wait for an accident to happen then in response secure the place after the event.  If you haven't seen it and you are passing nearby, take a look over the wall.  The whole place is quite shocking.

Well if its obvious to us, why isn't it obvious to those parking? Or do they think risking their life is worth it to have free parking?!

Edited by nightrider

20 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Well if its obvious to us, why isn't it obvious to those parking? Or do they think risking their life is worth it to have free parking?!

I suppose it all boils down to money.  If you work in that area it costs a small fortune to park all day.  Some people will do anything to save a few quid.

The cars all belong to workers at the nearby University building site. It saves them having to walk down from Crookes, the nearest free parking zone.

Someone must own the site. The vegetation was cleared out a couple of years ago after complaints of a rat infestation. 

8 hours ago, PeteM01 said:

The cars all belong to workers at the nearby University building site. It saves them having to walk down from Crookes, the nearest free parking zone.

Someone must own the site. The vegetation was cleared out a couple of years ago after complaints of a rat infestation. 

That's a good point.  They vehicle owners must know each other because one car blocked in most of the others today.  The land registry must contain the owner of the site details.

17 hours ago, martin1print said:

That's a good point.  They vehicle owners must know each other because one car blocked in most of the others today.  The land registry must contain the owner of the site details.

Wasn't it owned by ex-boxer Naseem Hamed.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/312264-northumberland-rd-hole-in-ground/?tab=comments#comment-5740117

51 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Could buy the deeds for a few quid if anyone cared enough, but might find it's just owned by a foreign corporate entity or similar and still be none the wiser who the real owner is.