What Areas To Look At And Which To Avoid?

Afternoon all!

So we've now been in Sheffield for a couple of weeks and so far enjoying it and all's good.

Looking to start viewing houses but unsure which areas to consider, and which to avoid and would really appreciate some help.  

We're a quiet, middle-aged working couple, no kids, with  a very modest budget of £140k max.   Would prefer small areas of housing rather than large estates.    

As hubby works in S4, he's happy to travel 10 miles (30 mins) to work so ideally, 10 miles south or west of S4.  We dont' mind going a little east to Rotherham but that's about as far as, currently renting in S9, we like being close to the M1 for getting up north and to the Peak District.

Any recommendations of suitable/affordable areas would be really helpful.

Many thanks!

why not look at eckington area or chesterfield thats easier for the peak district and m1

One area I would recommend is Handsworth / Stradbroke area it's only 5 miles from Pitsmoor, and there's plenty of buses.

It's quite a nice residential area.

I'd also recommend you have a look round the Hillsborough area. Probably a little more expensive that Handsworth, but it's a good area with lots of amenities, shops and stuff.

Thanks for responses so far.. we really do have to bear in mind our max budget, sadly.  We're first time buyers at our ripe old age, hehe.. and will be taking a small mortgage over a very short period so we can't afford much more, unfortunately.   I think Hillsborough is a little expensive Mister M?  

Much appreciated and look forward to more helpful responses.. 😁  they're really very useful as we only know our local area so far.

30 minutes ago, FelineUK said:

Thanks for responses so far.. we really do have to bear in mind our max budget, sadly.  We're first time buyers at our ripe old age, hehe.. and will be taking a small mortgage over a very short period so we can't afford much more, unfortunately.   I think Hillsborough is a little expensive Mister M?  

Much appreciated and look forward to more helpful responses.. 😁  they're really very useful as we only know our local area so far.

Yes you're probably right about Hillsborough being quite expensive....Although your question sparked my curiosity & I'm now looking at the rightmove website, and there's a 2 bedroomed end terrace house for sale at £140,000 on Brier Street, Hillsborough. Might be worth having a look on that website - you never know.....

Ooh I should add that although Hillsborough is a nice area, and I'd move to it myself if I could afford it, some areas of Hillsborough are prone to flooding. Not all of it, just some of it - thought I'd better pre warn you :thumbsup:

Edited by Mister M

Have you looked at Kimberworth? There are quite a few on Right Move that fit your budget.

We have been looking on Right Move.. probably we, I, am being a little choosy as I'm looking for somewhere with a maturish back garden as I'm a veggie grower and keen bird watcher.  The other thing we are keeping in the back of our mind are 2 receptions as one day my elderly father may need to live with us.

I think if we can have a better idea of the areas then at least we can start to know where to look and take it from there.

Ah , okay well, Eckington, Killamarsh and Mosborough are definitely worth looking at. Close to the M1, and you'll probably get more for your money there than in areas nearer to town.

I don't want to offend anyone but avoid Page Hall, Firth Park, possibly Parsons Cross and Jordanthorpe as they're a big estates.  Burngreave maybe worth thinking about as many of the houses are quite big, so you'd have 2 reception rooms. I lived up there for a while, and I didn't experience any problems - however some people have, and it isn't the safest area of Sheffield...

There's Intake, Gleadless and White Lane as well, but I don't know those areas very well, so you're probably better asking someone on here who's lived round there to give a fair answer.

Kimberworth is excellent birdwatching-especially renowned for raptors.

Other inexpensive areas with good birdwatching are Charnock and White Lane, Handsworth and Woodhouse where the estate butt onto Derbyshire.

Rotherham / NE DeRbyshire / Worksop

That's the answer basically. Junctions 31 & 30 have plenty of nice housing at decent prices, good countryside, M1 access and straight over to the PD without having to schlep through Sheffield watching your life slip before you in yet another traffic jam.

I drive through Dronfield quite often and have noted that  ‘For Sale’ signs are an endangered species. The same goes for areas such as Lowedges and Greenhill, I reckon that you should give your requirements to say, three agent, and wait for them to find your property for you, they will very likely find something that suits in an area that you never previously considered, good luck.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Rotherham / NE DeRbyshire / Worksop

That's the answer basically. Junctions 31 & 30 have plenty of nice housing at decent prices, good countryside, M1 access and straight over to the PD without having to schlep through Sheffield watching your life slip before you in yet another traffic jam.

Slim pickings in killamarsh at £140k, but bits of worksop would be worth a look.