Triumph Stag Advice Please

Hey all have recently seen a Stag for sale at what I class as a cheap price £2800. Dont know a great deal about these cars in articular so looking for advice. Checked the instruments and the oil pressures steady at aroud 40 bar, the charge voltage is steady at 12v. It has the Triumph 3.0 V8 which sounds as sweet as a nut, no knocks, rattles or noticeable flat spots and cant see any oil leaking anywhere.

On the cosmetic side however things are not quite so good. Needs a new roof, not sure if these come complete or if you can buy the canvas only. Secondly it needs a new rear bumper as it has a whole in it. The Chrome work throughout could do with being redone and it needs a full respray just to get it looking something like, more indepth a rewire new leather seat and a bit of tartin inside.

What I was wondering was how much would a new roof cost, is £2800 a reasonable price for one in this condition and how difficult and expensive are parts in general?

Cheers guys n gals.

God I wish I could help you! Stags are brilliant cars and I`m biased as hell so I`d pay twice as much for one.

Hi,

I've had one for 15 years so know a fair bit about them, new roof can be bought if the frame is good, so can rear bumpers - mind you if the one on this car is solid there is an excellent chrome platers at Wombwell. Biggest things are oil pressure & engine temperature. You say Oill pressure is good so it must have a non-standard guage fitted. What year is the car - post 73s are best. I'll happily come with you to look at the one you found. Give me a call on 262 0087 - I'm at Ecclesall so not that far away.

Regards, Andrew