Sheffield, A Football City, Or Not?

7 minutes ago, Morts said:

Nottingham only have Nottingham Forest in the top leagues at the moment. Would love to see Notts County regain league status ASAP.

Correct I missed that.

Cheers.

Sport in sheffield has become a lot more diverse since the heyday of both football clubs in the early stages of the last century, we have since had decent ice hockey and basketball sides not to mention a fair few boxers that have been very successfull.

I dont see huge gates as a pointer for success, newcastle have had large support for a number of years but won nothing, wimbledon managed a few seasons in the top 6 and won a major trophy on crowds of 8K,

Im a fan of how Brentford do things, smart sustainable recruitment, to fit a a -playing style thats already a blueprint, and then recruit coaches and managers that fit the style, so even if you sack a manager, you can still recruit your targets when they become available at the right price.

Sheffields more a sport city than a football city, the make up of the population has altered much in the 100 years since football heyday and given us successfull athletes across a diverse number of sports, but the door to football success is always open, it just takes someone with initiative to open it  enough for the club to walk through.

Edited by staninoodle

6 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Sport in sheffield has become a lot more diverse since the heyday of both football clubs in the early stages of the last century, we have since had decent ice hockey and basketball sides not to mention a fair few boxers that have been very successfull.

I dont see huge gates as a pointer for success, newcastle have had large support for a number of years but won nothing, wimbledon managed a few seasons in the top 6 and won a major trophy on crowds of 8K,

Im a fan of how Brentford do things, smart sustainable recruitment, to fit a a -playing style thats already a blueprint, and then recruit coaches and managers that fit the style, so even if you sack a manager, you can still recruit your targets when they become available at the right price.

Sheffields more a sport city than a football city, the make up of the population has altered much in the 100 years since football heyday and given us successfull athletes across a diverse number of sports, but the door to football success is always open, it just takes someone with initiative to open it  enough for the club to walk through.

Yes I’ll  concede all of that, it’s a noted fact that football clubs, no matter which, don’t survive on the gate receipts alone, they help but other more important factors prevail. The business acumen of the top guy is very important, I’ve a sneezy feeling that Mr Chansiri’s running of his main business will be about the same as that of his ‘hobby’.

Your comparisons of Brentford and Wimbledon against Newcastle are not lost on me, there must be a player with similar abilities to those of Barry Bannan costing a lot less than £35K a week. As for the manager, luck is a factor, so giving an unproven one on a long contract paying mega money might not be the smartest thing to do

Didn't Barry Bannan sign a new contract last season?.

If Chansiri signed him up at £35,000 a week he needs certifying.

Edited by Alextopman

41 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Didn't Barry Bannan sign a new contract last season?.

If Chansiri signed him up at £35,000 a week he needs certifying.

You are right , although no footballer is worth that per week .

A nurse gets around twenty grand a YEAR ,  a carer around 15 grand .

8 hours ago, cuttsie said:

You are right , although no footballer is worth that per week .

A nurse gets around twenty grand a YEAR ,  a carer around 15 grand .

What they’re worth and what they can get are two different things although I doubt Bannan’s on more than £20k a week. 

last I saw he was £27,500 but not the 35 grand  mentioned .

Its a bloody disgrace that any football player gets that kind money .

Edited by cuttsie

40 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

last I saw he was £27,500 but not the 35 grand  mentioned .

Its a bloody disgrace that any football player gets that kind money .

Think its been said publicly somewhere that hes taken a paycut to stay with us, not sure how much, hel still be on one hell of a wedge

23 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Well Bannan is still there so it looks like Palmer knows just about the same as the rest of us on here.

For the first time in a few years I bought a Sunday newspaper this morning. The Sunday Times no less.  I needed a non tabloid paper for masking a room whilst decorating. However after getting over the £3  charge I thought I’d read it before using it for masking.

United…..22 words in the Championship Round-Up. It mentions the Stoke scorer but no mention of United’s scorers!

Wednesday…..diddly squat in the League One Round Up

1 hour ago, Morts said:

For the first time in a few years I bought a Sunday newspaper this morning. The Sunday Times no less.  I needed a non tabloid paper for masking a room whilst decorating. However after getting over the £3  charge I thought I’d read it before using it for masking.

United…..22 words in the Championship Round-Up. It mentions the Stoke scorer but no mention of United’s scorers!

Wednesday…..diddly squat in the League One Round Up

Sheffield does not exist in the main stream media .

Or in Government plans , why ?????????