Sheffield, A Football City, Or Not?

20 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I get that and I agree with you that a city the size of ours should do a lot better, but I think the size of the region and the split support must come into it.

40 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I get that and I agree with you that a city the size of ours should do a lot better, but I think the size of the region and the split support must come into it.

Sheffield had a total support of over 50,000 for their last two home games if as my pal told me Wednesday had 25,000 for their last game, I haven't checked that.

Not bad for second and third tier clubs.

I don't think we are the 5th largest populated city in the UK  either.

Edited by Alextopman

17 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

So Doncaster must be doing really badly when you add the Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham potential support into the equation.

Before the maximum wage was abolished Sheffield just about held its own. In those days it was down to the quality of the board of directors - local businessmen willing to put their hands into their own pockets every now and then and hopefully making the right decisions. When the big bucks came into the game Sheffield was left behind.
The actual number coming through the gate is becoming less and less important - these days it’s all about super rich owners, mega sponsorship deals, and TV money. For some reason we don’t seem able to attract it.

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

Before the maximum wage was abolished Sheffield just about held its own. In those days it was down to the quality of the board of directors - local businessmen willing to put their hands into their own pockets every now and then and hopefully making the right decisions. When the big bucks came into the game Sheffield was left behind.
The actual number coming through the gate is becoming less and less important - these days it’s all about super rich owners, mega sponsorship deals, and TV money. For some reason we don’t seem able to attract it.

Good post Jim. I think geographical location also much more important these days. London, Manchester/Liverpool attractive to rich footballers for all the other 'attractions' outside of their footy commitments. Will be interesting to see if Newcastle will be able to attract now they have the money but perhaps, not the location!? Perhaps when we're all levelled-up, we (Sheffield) might come good again (tongue in cheek)!

9 minutes ago, Igor said:

Good post Jim. I think geographical location also much more important these days. London, Manchester/Liverpool attractive to rich footballers for all the other 'attractions' outside of their footy commitments. Will be interesting to see if Newcastle will be able to attract now they have the money but perhaps, not the location!? Perhaps when we're all levelled-up, we (Sheffield) might come good again (tongue in cheek)!

Yes, all that an’all, lol.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

They should have put the M1  going through Millhouses, Totley and Dore instead of the eyesore people get passing Sheffield on it.

Edited by Alextopman

The point about geographical location attracting footballers reminded me that when Sunderland were a premiership club that they seriously considered having a training ground in London. 

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Yes I hear that the property waiting lists in Toxteth and Moss Side are at an all time high.

we cannot change where we are,but both set of sheffield supporters are loyal,good years and bad,but football is about money and to be big and stay big money is king,most teams like wolves,spent big,and stayed up and competitive ,those that dont go down,but good top players want to win things and that counts to

On 11/10/2021 at 09:22, Morts said:

At least we are one of, I think, six cities that have two football league clubs.

Two or more clubs. 

London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Stoke.

Nottingham only have Nottingham Forest in the top leagues at the moment. Would love to see Notts County regain league status ASAP.