Sheffield, A Football City, Or Not?

The fifth largest population in the U.K. and all we can show for it is one second and one third tier team, Liverpool & Everton are ever present in the top flight, as are Manchester, now that City has got it’s act together, even the top London clubs  are currently having to play second fiddle to these guys. The Midlands is huge and has the likes of Leicester and Villa to at least attempt to achieve a top six position, but Sheffield appears to be a football wilderness, if all we have is history to remind us of of our status on the football ladder then something is very wrong, any sensible answers guys? 🤔

Do we really want to be saved by an investment of over £300 million to enable us to compete at the very top, as per Newcastle? Having said that, Leicester City through superb management, both on and off the field, have proven that it can be done . They still spend a few quid though.

I’d be more than happy if both Sheffield clubs could at least be together in the Championship and we can have a couple of derbies each season. That would at least get us back to the banter, the hurt of losing,  or the sheer joy of beating the enemy. 
At least we are one of, I think, six cities that have two football league clubs.
Good post Crookesey

34 minutes ago, Morts said:

Do we really want to be saved by an investment of over £300 million to enable us to compete at the very top, as per Newcastle?

Surely that depends if the owners are responsible for human rights atrocities or not.

Whatever league you are in promotion is the wish for all supporters, that's what football is about.

However, when you get into the premier the hope becomes mere survival, there are more teams battling for that  than winning it.

Got to agree with the poster here the Championship is a good league to be in bit not a single fan would turn down promotion out of it.

Money runs the game even in the Championship Chansiri said fans money is irrelevant.

Edited by Alextopman

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Surely that depends if the owners are responsible for human rights atrocities or not.

You cannot go there , football  along with our Government for some reason turn a blind eye . 

Edited by cuttsie

we as proper fans support our teams every week,good  times/bad times times we can go ,times we cant afford it,but we stick in there any way we can,from birth to death,even many still use a radio or tv ,love there club even when ill or bed ridden ,even man city have tasted the bad times,,okay we may wish for better times,but hey ho we love our club,and when we die it dies with us even with our scarf in a coffin,but our support lives on.thats a true supporter .

2 hours ago, Morts said:

Do we really want to be saved by an investment of over £300 million to enable us to compete at the very top, as per Newcastle? Having said that, Leicester City through superb management, both on and off the field, have proven that it can be done . They still spend a few quid though.

I’d be more than happy if both Sheffield clubs could at least be together in the Championship and we can have a couple of derbies each season. That would at least get us back to the banter, the hurt of losing,  or the sheer joy of beating the enemy. 
At least we are one of, I think, six cities that have two football league clubs.
Good post Crookesey

Agree with that tbf. I'd be happy enough with both of us being competitive in the championship. The premiership isn't a big draw for me other than to help the finances.

5 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Agree with that tbf. I'd be happy enough with both of us being competitive in the championship. The premiership isn't a big draw for me other than to help the finances.

Doesn't competitive include succeeding?.

Being in a competition and not wanting to win it is pointless.

20 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Doesn't competitive include succeeding?.

Being in a competition and not wanting to win it is pointless.

Maybe but I just mean I'd not lose sleep if we never got back into the premiership. You can be competitive even if you don't win the cup or league etc though. I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy if they did win something but a 300 million quid takeover by foreigners is something I don't want just to get into the premiership but then I hate how money orientated football has become.

1 minute ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Maybe but I just mean I'd not lose sleep if we never got back into the premiership. You can be competitive even if you don't win the cup or league etc though. I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy if they did win something but a 300 million quid takeover by foreigners is something I don't want just to get into the premiership but then I hate how money orientated football has become.

There wouldn't be a £300 million takeover for either of us we're not worth that.

Money runs football it's a fact and to be able to compete it's needed.

Everyone would like to be the best, not everyone can be.

On 11/10/2021 at 08:34, crookesey said:

The fifth largest population in the U.K. and all we can show for it is one second and one third tier team, Liverpool & Everton are ever present in the top flight, as are Manchester, now that City has got it’s act together, even the top London clubs  are currently having to play second fiddle to these guys. The Midlands is huge and has the likes of Leicester and Villa to at least attempt to achieve a top six position, but Sheffield appears to be a football wilderness, if all we have is history to remind us of of our status on the football ladder then something is very wrong, any sensible answers guys? 🤔

This question has brought out the geek in me and I’ve spent most of the morning doing calculations. I know there are other factors but I found that South Yorkshire is right at the bottom of the table when it comes to potential support. It might be a big factor when it comes to attracting investment.

South East pop. 8.635m

9 clubs, 959k per club

East Midlands pop. 4.804m

6 clubs, 801k per club

East of England pop. 6.240m

8 clubs, 780k per club

South Wales pop. 2.200m

3 clubs, 733k per club

Greater London pop. 8.908m

13 clubs, 685k per club

North East pop. 2.657m

4 clubs, 664k per club

South West pop. 5.289m

8 clubs, 661k per club

West Yorkshire pop. 2.398m 

4 clubs, 599k per club

Merseyside pop. 1.423m

3 clubs, 474k per club

Greater Manchester pop. 2.822m

7 clubs, 403k per club

West Midlands pop. 2.928m

9 clubs, 325k per club

North West pop. 3.056m

10 clubs, 306k per club

Humberside pop. 0.858m

3 clubs, 286k per club

South Yorkshire pop. 1.405m

5 clubs, 281k per club

On 11/10/2021 at 08:34, crookesey said:

The fifth largest population in the U.K. and all we can show for it is one second and one third tier team, Liverpool & Everton are ever present in the top flight, as are Manchester, now that City has got it’s act together, even the top London clubs  are currently having to play second fiddle to these guys. The Midlands is huge and has the likes of Leicester and Villa to at least attempt to achieve a top six position, but Sheffield appears to be a football wilderness, if all we have is history to remind us of of our status on the football ladder then something is very wrong, any sensible answers guys?

10 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

This question has brought out the geek in me and I’ve spent most of the morning doing calculations. I know there are other factors but I found that South Yorkshire is right at the bottom of the table when it comes to potential support. It might be a big factor when it comes to attracting investment.

South East pop. 8.635m

9 clubs, 959k per club

East Midlands pop. 4.804m

6 clubs, 801k per club

East of England pop. 6.240m

8 clubs, 780k per club

South Wales pop. 2.200m

3 clubs, 733k per club

Greater London pop. 8.908m

13 clubs, 685k per club

North East pop. 2.657m

4 clubs, 664k per club

South West pop. 5.289m

8 clubs, 661k per club

West Yorkshire pop. 2.398m 

4 clubs, 599k per club

Merseyside pop. 1.423m

3 clubs, 474k per club

Greater Manchester pop. 2.822m

7 clubs, 403k per club

West Midlands pop. 2.928m

9 clubs, 325k per club

North West pop. 3.056m

10 clubs, 306k per club

Humberside pop. 0.858m

3 clubs, 286k per club

South Yorkshire pop. 1.405m

5 clubs, 281k per club

Not really fair to bring the other three clubs into the equation, this is about the city of Sheffield in isolation and it’s poor football standing when compared with other cities.