And The Award For Most Misleading Headline Goes To .

Its not really clickbait is it. Please tell me what is inaccurate with it. Tvoroyrar Boltfelag are in the top division in the UEFA member country concerned. 

"Top flight" clearly refers to the top division in any given country. Police Tero are in the Thailand top flight, as an example. The fact the national side is useless at football is irrelevant.

Edited by HeHasRisen

And we have another entry ... here's the headline: "Police face hundreds of sexual assault complaints" while the article appears here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58866432 .

First line of the article reads "At least 750 allegations of sexual misconduct were made against serving police officers across Britain over five years, new figures show." There are two problems. Firstly, the headline seems to imply the complaints are current. Secondly, what constitutes sexual misconduct is never explained and (I think) it's a lot broader than sexual assault. Specificly, most sexual misconduct is a lot less serious than the term sexual assault implies. Why do I say this? Well, I had a look at the misconduct allegations against South Yorkshire police officers  made over the last ten years ( https://www.southyorks.police.uk/about-us/our-standards/misconduct-findings/ , thanks to @Findlay who originally posted this link on the Sarah Everard thread) and there were almost no sexual assault allegations while there were quite a few allegations of sexualised language directed at colleagues which having occasioned complaint would surely count as sexual harassment. If I am right, we have a headline that implies large scale, serious wrongdoing while the body of the article suggests the numbers are padded out with much more minor misbehaviour over quite a long period.

Now the article is pretty poor throughout in distinguishing various kinds of misconduct. It throws around the terms 'sexual assault' (a criminal offence involving unwanted physical contact?) , 'sexual offence' (a criminal offence presumably though not necessarily involving physical contact?), sexual misconduct (not necessarily criminal though against police rules?) in a way that suggests its author cannot distinguish them. I may be mistaken but see what you think.

[Incidentally, I am confident that police officers have carried out a lot of sexual assaults over the last five years but overwhelmingly, in common with sexual assaults committed by non police officers, they will never have given rise to a complaint to the police.]

Edited by Carbuncle

15 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its not really clickbait is it. Please tell me what is inaccurate with it. Tvoroyrar Boltfelag are in the top division in the UEFA member country concerned. 

"Top flight" clearly refers to the top division in any given country. Police Tero are in the Thailand top flight, as an example. The fact the national side is useless at football is irrelevant.

Are their players full time or part time?

And the relevance of that is?

The headline is in no way inaccurate. The football club concerned is in the top flight of that nations football system. I dont understand the continued handwringing about this.

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

And the relevance of that is?

The headline is in no way inaccurate. The football club concerned is in the top flight of that nations football system. I dont understand the continued handwringing about this.

I'm not hand wringing. 

I think the most misleading would have been "French push bottles up German rear" had it been actually printed and not just apocryphal.

This time a special guest entry posted by @trastrick on the Joe Biden thread. The headline is "More Americans have died of COVID under Biden than Trump: Johns Hopkins" while the article is here ( https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/oct/8/more-americans-have-died-covid-under-biden-trump-j/ ).

The article begins "More Americans have died from COVID-19 during President Biden‘s first nine months in office than during the first nine months of the pandemic under Donald Trump’s presidency, according to data from Johns Hopkins University." Notice that this statement, which I think is accurate, does not match the headline.

Guest makapaka

The bbc is terrible for it.

i normally chuckle at the daily “5 things you need to know about coronavirus this morning”

Click on it and there’ll be a story about a musician who recorded part of his latest album in lockdown or something.

Edited by makapaka