And The Award For Most Misleading Headline Goes To .

This article from the BBC ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58851880 ) comes with the headline "Helen Nkwocha - the first female coach of a European top-flight men's team". Care to guess which club she is the coach of?

Spoiler

Tvoroyrar Boltfelag. For a bonus point, care to guess which country's league they play in?

The headline technically isnt inaccurate. 

The Faroe Islands are a FIFA/UEFA member.

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

True enough, the headline is accurate, but did it mislead you? Do you think it was intended to?

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

So are Andorra and San Marino - never heard them (or any of their league teams) described as top flight.

It demonstrates well how click-bait works, though. 

I probably would have clicked that if I saw it on the BBC site. Certainly more likely than if the title was, 'a woman I've never heard of, is managing a football club that I've not heard of'. - type thing... :hihi: 

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

So are Andorra and San Marino - never heard them (or any of their league teams) described as top flight.

Its the top flight of football in that nation, you have clearly misunderstood.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its the top flight of football in that nation, you have clearly misunderstood.

Would you have understood, if you hadn't clicked on it?

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Would you have understood, if you hadn't clicked on it?

Yes - the top division of a nations football pyramid.  Very little to misunderstand. The fact its a tiny nation makes it slightly amusing though.

Had she become coach of Manchester United, PSG, or even Sant Julia in Andorra, the line "the first female coach of a European top-flight men's team" would still be accurate

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes - the top division of a nations football pyramid.  Very little to misunderstand. The fact its a tiny nation makes it slightly amusing though.

When I look online at the picture it says this:

oh, I can't do a screenshot. 

it's basically... 'working with male players is not different - then the line in the OP

Edited by *_ash_*

I am merely going off the line in the OP in quotation marks, which isnt inaccurate in the slightest.  Failing to see the problem with this thread.

and I would click on that. 

What's it's about is irrelevant these days. It's click bait, and whoever wrote will write it like this because if it doesn't get clicks, then they are not doing their job well. Sad state of affairs, but it competes with social media now.

14 minutes ago, Longcol said:
6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I think the headline is ambiguous. European top flight can refer to best in Europe (Longcol) or to the top flight, ie highest division, in a European country (HeHasRisen). Either way the headline is misleading and worse the article without the misleading headline is basicly a non-story.