Amey Forget To Close Road?

i read today that a great street market,called hedgerow  market was set for a 6 hour market on division street on oct 9th 12noon-6pm with the road closed to traffic,but failure by amey or scc dont know which failed to close road there for the market could not take place,this must of upset folk,businesess and also the people who spent hours advertising and promoting it,who is to blame?

Sheffield City Council have stated  that they approved the road closure.

No word from Amey yet.

Absolutely disgusting error by scc and/or Amey 

Just when the city centre could do with a lift 

They should be recompensing stall owners/ producers who will no doubt have spent much time and money preparing

once more the city governors and their subcontractors show they have little idea how to run the proverbial booze up in a brewery

yes there should be money to re-dress the situation,especially where food ect ,was involved ,its awfull

12 hours ago, bassett one said:

i read today that a great street market,called hedgerow  market was set for a 6 hour market on division street on oct 9th 12noon-6pm with the road closed to traffic,but failure by amey or scc dont know which failed to close road there for the market could not take place,this must of upset folk,businesess and also the people who spent hours advertising and promoting it,who is to blame?

Good, I'm glad the road didn't get closed. Doing something like this on a public road is ridiculous. Hedgerow market shouldn't inconvenience others.

Edited by HumbleNarrator

11 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Good, I'm glad the road didn't get closed. Doing something like this on a public road is ridiculous. Hedgerow market shouldn't inconvenience others.

Until a decision is made to pedestrianise Division Street (which I think is almost certainly coming in the next couple of years), then taking 5 hours on 1 Sunday every few months seems like a fair ask.

It seems very popular (both this market and the idea of pedestrianisation) among shop owners on the road.

I personally rarely use Division Street when it's open to traffic, whereas it tends to draw me in quite often when it's pedestrianised.

Edited by AndrewC

9 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Until a decision is made to pedestrianise Division Street (which I think is almost certainly coming in the next couple of years), then taking 5 hours on 1 Sunday every few months seems like a fair ask.

It seems very popular (both this market and the idea of pedestrianisation) among shop owners on the road.

I personally rarely use Division Street when it's open to traffic, whereas it tends to draw me in quite often when it's pedestrianised.

October  9th was Saturday.

But yes I agree, this is hardly a through route so the number of people a closure would have actually inconvenienced is tiny.

Oops; you're quite right, it was.

Still though, like you say, it's never an overly busy street for cars any day of the week.

There's a post on Facebook saying that SCC are holding an internal review today to understand why the road closure wasn't put in place by the contractor.

Why didn’t they put the market on an existing pedestrian space such as Fargate ?

37 minutes ago, gluedtopc said:

Why didn’t they put the market on an existing pedestrian space such as Fargate ?

Because they want to spread pedestrianisation.

24 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Because they want to spread pedestrianisation.

Who is this “they” you speak so disparaging about?