Which Would Be The Best England Team From The Owls

Wednesday have had 43 players in the England team  amassing 257 caps between them .

But who would be the best eleven .

Mine is .

Springett 

Blenkinsop (capt)                                             Sterland 

Strange                                                    Leach                                            Marsden 

Waddle.                                Fantham.                           Hurst.                  Quixall                                   Sewell 

I have seen 7 of these play and have been told about the half back line who all played at the same time.

Woods was a near second to Springett but that team above had at least four Sheffield lads in it .

Any adjustments thoughts any one .

Due to some one being mardy on my selection of Waddle on the wing I now have to drop him even though was voted player of the year while with the Owls so Waddle is dropped and replaced by Billy Spouncer  on the wing .

Edited by cuttsie

Waddle never won a cap in his time at Wednesday. If you’re going to include him you might as well pick Trevor Francis, Viv Anderson, and Des Walker.

Correction. Des Walker did win a cap at Wednesday. Gerrim int team.

Edited by Jim Hardie

4 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Waddle never won a cap in his time at Wednesday. If you’re going to include him you might as well pick Trevor Francis, Viv Anderson, and Des Walker.

I just capped him .

What about a players I remember my Owls mates really liking, but I thought was hopeless - dare I mention Carlton Palmer?

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

What about a players I remember my Owls mates really liking, but I thought was hopeless - dare I mention Carlton Palmer?

He played but can not drop any one for him , I can hear Graham Turner shouting  now ,"Carlton " Carlton, Carlton , get fricin back you twit . or words to that effect .

Peter Swan at centre half surely?

Swan has to be the best CB Wednesday ever had bar none, he could pass a ball 60 yards onto a sixpence, superb allround footballer, he was booed onto the pitch at every away ground, mark of respect in those days

David Layne though similar in build to Hirst, scored his goals far quicker and all in the top division against the countrys best defenders, every club in the country was keeping tabs on him, England selectors included

Edited by staninoodle

Chris Woods, born in Swineshead (grunt) won 10 more England caps than Ron Springett who was a Londoner.

no  mr dooley ,he scored more goals than any other since the war,top man,top player was it 49 goals in 46 matchs ,swan,layne ,kay,but derek dooley has to be in it,defo

34 minutes ago, bassett one said:

no  mr dooley ,he scored more goals than any other since the war,top man,top player was it 49 goals in 46 matchs ,swan,layne ,kay,but derek dooley has to be in it,defo

Only one problem there.