Equal Representation By Ethnicity?

Corrie (coronation street) tonight, the gay black footballer dude was complaining that only 25% of players in the premier league are black, I think he said it should even be more!

However, if you consider the demographics of Britain as a whole, only 3% of the population are black, so black players are already over-represented by a factor of 8, and that’s not enough?

How’s that right?

Personally I think the whole idea of trying to have a certain percentage people within a group, be there because of some attribute like their ethnicity, gender, sexuality, or whatever, is a bit messed up. We need to get to a place where, as a society, we treat everyone first and foremost as an individual, rather than as a member of a particular group.

If you want to be  brutally fair, only 3% (not 25%) of premier league players should be black. Should we sack a bunch of them because other ethnicities are under-represented? Or does having fair representation only apply to people from some ethnic groups?

I hardly watch TV cos its crap but sometimes, when I do I can't help but notice the people in the adverts. Non white people, gay people etc are waaaaay over represented on tv advertisments. I can't comment on tv programs really cos I watch so few and mainly older 80s and 90s stuff. 

I'm all for representing everyone fairly but the pendulum had swung too far in my view. Personally I think it's woke culture that's to blame. 

On the subject of bringing ethnic background into being an issue for seemingly no logical reason at all, the best example I saw recently was on the news where some people were campaigning because apparently only a small percentage of people who go walking in the peaks are from a BAME group.

Perhaps it was because they didn't want to go walking?

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Corrie (coronation street) tonight, the gay black footballer dude was complaining that only 25% of players in the premier league are black, I think he said it should even be more!

However, if you consider the demographics of Britain as a whole, only 3% of the population are black, so black players are already over-represented by a factor of 8, and that’s not enough?

How’s that right?

Personally I think the whole idea of trying to have a certain percentage people within a group, be there because of some attribute like their ethnicity, gender, sexuality, or whatever, is a bit messed up. We need to get to a place where, as a society, we treat everyone first and foremost as an individual, rather than as a member of a particular group.

If you want to be  brutally fair, only 3% (not 25%) of premier league players should be black. Should we sack a bunch of them because other ethnicities are under-represented? Or does having fair representation only apply to people from some ethnic groups?

I remember hearing Raheem Sterling being interviewed on Radio 5 Live a few months ago, complaining that this is a racist country because only about a third of footballers are black. I waited for one of the hosts to point out to him that black footballers are actually over represented and to ask him if he actually had any gratitude towards this country for taking him and his mother in from Jamaica after his father had been killed when he was 2. They were given a house, access to the NHS, education system and welfare state which they hadn't contributed towards and he ended up going to a special school because of his behavioural problems. He was given the chance to develop his football skills and is now a multi millionaire yet all he does is whinge about how racist we all are. Naturally, no challenging questions were forthcoming and when he'd gone, the presenters drooled over how well he'd expressed himself.

1 minute ago, despritdan said:

I remember hearing Raheem Sterling being interviewed on Radio 5 Live a few months ago, complaining that this is a racist country because only about a third of footballers are black. I waited for one of the hosts to point out to him that black footballers are actually over represented and to ask him if he actually had any gratitude towards this country for taking him and his mother in from Jamaica after his father had been killed when he was 2. They were given a house, access to the NHS, education system and welfare state which they hadn't contributed towards and he ended up going to a special school because of his behavioural problems. He was given the chance to develop his football skills and is now a multi millionaire yet all he does is whinge about how racist we all are. Naturally, no challenging questions were forthcoming and when he'd gone, the presenters drooled over how well he'd expressed himself.

He's a typical race hustler. Best ignored like the rest of them really. 

Jermaine jenus has had just made a programme about racist trolls then says the horrible Saudi buyout at Newcastle is exciting,nothing about the treatment of women in Saudi.

Edited by ukdobby

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I hardly watch TV cos its crap but sometimes, when I do I can't help but notice the people in the adverts. Non white people, gay people etc are waaaaay over represented on tv advertisments. I can't comment on tv programs really cos I watch so few and mainly older 80s and 90s stuff. 

I'm all for representing everyone fairly but the pendulum had swung too far in my view. Personally I think it's woke culture that's to blame. 

Well said.

The ('God forbid we should upset anyone') over representation of mixed race couples in adverts is laughable. 

Caught some of 'Doctors' other week. A (overlong) political rant by the male (gay) nurse how the NHS had hijacked the LGBT Rainbow and explaining how the different LGBT flags donated different persuasions of their calling was enough to send me back in't garage.

11 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

On the subject of bringing ethnic background into being an issue for seemingly no logical reason at all, the best example I saw recently was on the news where some people were campaigning because apparently only a small percentage of people who go walking in the peaks are from a BAME group.

Perhaps it was because they didn't want to go walking?

Our beautiful countryside hasn't exactly been hiding has it!

I saw the same thing and came to the conclusion it was more jumping on the 'Mental health' -  'Look at us' band waggon.

Keep safe.

13 hours ago, Waldo said:

How’s that right?

Whats this factual program one talks about? Oh, Corrie 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, S1 1DJ said:

Whats this factual program one talks about? Oh, Corrie 😂😂😂

It's more to do with the political shenanigans intermingled in soaps, to hide the fact they want to use the subject, to win awards than any real interest in the subject/ cause. 

IMO

Keep safe.

14 hours ago, Waldo said:

How’s that right?

I've got a slightly different take on this issue. 

I grew up in the 1970s where the only gay men that were represented on TV was Larry Grayson and John Inman. Having positive and visible role models for young people is really important to their self esteem and wider mental health.

It would be lovely to get to a place where, as a society, we treat everyone first and foremost as an individual, rather than as a member of a particular group. Unfortunately if you're a member of a particular group - be it disabled or a woman, then your life is often defined, not through choice, by being part of that particular group.

I think the import of 'minority issues' in soaps can often be clumsy. You've mentioned one example, I'm sure there are lots of others. But Brookside, in its earlier phase, was sometimes successful in weaving in such issues within the wider narrative. It depends on the quality of the writing more than anything.

52 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I've got a slightly different take on this issue. 

I grew up in the 1970s where the only gay men that were represented on TV was Larry Grayson and John Inman. Having positive and visible role models for young people is really important to their self esteem and wider mental health.

It would be lovely to get to a place where, as a society, we treat everyone first and foremost as an individual, rather than as a member of a particular group. Unfortunately if you're a member of a particular group - be it disabled or a woman, then your life is often defined, not through choice, by being part of that particular group.

I think the import of 'minority issues' in soaps can often be clumsy. You've mentioned one example, I'm sure there are lots of others. But Brookside, in its earlier phase, was sometimes successful in weaving in such issues within the wider narrative. It depends on the quality of the writing more than anything.

There is a place where everybody is included in one big society.

& that place is HOLLYOAKS.

Providing you look good in skirts that hardly fit (coz its 85+ degrees all year round in Chester),

don't mind getting shot, robbed, murdered, run over, having your house/ business set on fire, being a victim of abuse, an abuser,  amputees (are popular at the moment), being in prison (usually for something you haven't done), kidnapped, LGBT, BAME, BLT (?) or what other combination of capital letter you want to classify yourself as.

Clumsy? No,  just  jousting for one up man ship on other soaps with pathetic story lines.

None of the soaps now reflect any reality to real life.

The whole coverage (or none coverage) of Covid restrictions has been a prime example.

Me i'm OTG.

Off T' Garage.

Keep safe.

Sorry - (anyone who has been affected by any of the above combination of subjects  please phone our help line)

Edited by Rockers rule
-