Saudi Royals Take Over Newcastle United

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Quite funny watching all the Newcastle fans celebrating this when about half of them will have voted for Brexit. It's a funny oul world.

It was a narrow victory for Newcastle but they voted to remain when we had the Brexit referendum.

9 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

It was a narrow victory for Newcastle but they voted to remain when we had the Brexit referendum.

Which is why I said "about half", it was marginal. Nice British man out the door and replaced by those funny looking foreign men with tea towels on their heads, and they are running around celebrating. Bizarre behaviour by some of them.

I am disgusted by this, but then we have other people that I don't like owning Football Clubs. I mean the Yanks and Russians.

Chunks of  London have already been bought,  what will they buy up next is the next question

I somehow don’t think that any royal house would be interest in a third division team. However if we were a Premier team I wouldn’t want to see us fall into Saudi hands, thanks but no thanks.

1 hour ago, dacrlit said:

I am disgusted by this, but then we have other people that I don't like owning Football Clubs. I mean the Yanks and Russians.

Why? 

43 minutes ago, cressida said:

Chunks of  London have already been bought,  what will they buy up next is the next question

It's all for sale!

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Whatever they wish that is legally allowed, however if U.K. subjects/companies have restrictions applied on Saudi purchases this ought to be taken into account.

Think it's good for Newcastle,  as a club and city.

Fans won't be too bothered what connections are with Saudi Arabia- they'll want to have money spent to buy top players- who will only be coming for the astronomical wages being offered.

You can imagine in 2023 Neymar saying: " since I was a kid, I always dreamt about playing for Newcastle Utd"😄

BTW, that Amanda Staveley looks like a cat..and vicious too.

9 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Which is why I said "about half", it was marginal. Nice British man out the door and replaced by those funny looking foreign men with tea towels on their heads, and they are running around celebrating. Bizarre behaviour by some of them.

Although I live in the north east I don’t watch the local news and I’m not interested in football.  Sadly as it’s already been said on here anything in this country is up for sale to foreign investors. 

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

Quite correct more people in the Newcastle parliamentary constituencies voted to remain in the EU. However, I think there were a lot of students that are not originally from that area who voted there.  It was the Sunderland constituencies who voted to leave and after that result it was obvious the majority of UK voters had voted to leave the EU.

I agree with you about a lot of students in Newcastle voting for remain in the Brexit referendum.  As well as Sunderland voting to leave just across the Tyne from Newcastle is Gateshead and they also voted to leave.  

The Saudi royal family are despicable people - buying a football club doesn't make them any more or less despicable, but it does expose some hypocrisy. If a club was bought by a multiple murderer who didn't have unlimited money you'd expect protests outside the ground, but with this lot you get celebrations.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

The Saudi royal family are despicable people - buying a football club doesn't make them any more or less despicable, but it does expose some hypocrisy. If a club was bought by a multiple murderer who didn't have unlimited money you'd expect protests outside the ground, but with this lot you get celebrations.

The fact the UK government felt the need to step and hide information to save Saudi embarrassment speaks volumes. And yet, they've passed the "fit and proper" test for the premier league.