The New Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries Thinks The Bbc Is 'Elitist'

Britain's new Culture Secretary thinks the BBC is elitist.

I can see no evidence of elitism on the BBC. If anything it has gone relentlesly down market in the past 20 years.

So what makes Dorries think that the BBC is elitist?

Is it because BBC output is too complicated for her to understand?

Has she got a chip on her shoulder?

Is she just engaging in a stupid culture war to try pit herself, and the Tories onside with the public against the establishment?

Or is it to cover up the fact that she was on ITV's I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here eating an ostritch anus?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/nadine-dorries-culture-secretary-appointment-critics-left-wing-snobbery-conservative-conference-1231360

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nadine-dorries-culture-secretary-bbc-attack-snobbery-1233626

Nepotism? Is this the same Nadine Dorris who employed her on daughter at - I might be a bit low here - £40k year or is it a different Nadine dorris?

I don’t watch the BBC or ITV much, but if her comments lead to a debate about the TV licence  then good for her.  Are we holding on to the licence because it’s part of our past history? it seems that way to me.

Edited by hauxwell

Politics and culture do not really connect. Higher up you go there worse it gets.

Personally speaking;

A: I think the BBC should run 3rd party adverts and not just fill the same amount of time with adverts for its own services.

and,

B: They should get people in who know how to make money from what could be the world's largest treasure trove of  programs archives that people will pay for. Amazon or Netflix would do blue murder and make billions from an archive like the BBC's.

But no, purity, standards, free to use and all that other bullcrap is wheeled out so that the organisation can carry on living off the public tit while criminalising pensioners, single parents and the very worst off in our society.

Maybe what she means is it is run by the elite, which is certainly true, and that influences the attitudes and output of the channel etc which is also probably inevitable. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Personally speaking;

A: I think the BBC should run 3rd party adverts and not just fill the same amount of time with adverts for its own services.

and,

B: They should get people in who know how to make money from what could be the world's largest treasure trove of  programs archives that people will pay for. Amazon or Netflix would do blue murder and make billions from an archive like the BBC's.

Isn't that what Britbox is? All their material (much of it now removed from Netflix etc) and you have pay to watch.

13 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Isn't that what Britbox is? All their material (much of it now removed from Netflix etc) and you have pay to watch.

Not really, Britbox is a pale imitation of a pay-to-view service and isn't it a collaboration with Channel 4, the other UK state broadcaster? I'm not an expert as you can tell :)

If the BBC wanted to keep it simple and maximise revenue for least effort, imagine it this way; put every single BBC news broadcast that's in the archive onto Youtube and collect the ad commission. 

That's just a single thing done in the most amateur-hour way imaginable and we can both easily imagine the £££ value it would create. Now parse that amateur-hour idea into the brains of people who live in the Netflix boardroom and bingo!

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

Amazon or Netflix would do blue murder and make billions from an archive like the BBC's.

The BBC already sells programmes to other broadcasters, including to Amazon. It has done for years.

The MP claimed that “if you have a regional accent on the BBC, it doesn’t go down very well”

Unless of course you're presenting Top Gear at Prime Time?  That boasts not one but two strong regional accents, from people not used to presenting.

And I guessed she's missed this Bolton tragi-comedy

Alma's Not Normal review – this bleak, brilliant comedy is far from ordinary

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/07/almas-not-normal-review-comedy-sophie-willan

Even the more highbrow channels are favouring the north,  4 of the 6 locations in this great series (on BBC 2 or 4 shortly) are in Northern England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000c78q/episodes/player

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

The MP claimed that “if you have a regional accent on the BBC, it doesn’t go down very well”

Unless of course you're presenting Top Gear at Prime Time?  That boasts not one but two strong regional accents, from people not used to presenting.

And I guessed she's missed this Bolton tragi-comedy

Alma's Not Normal review – this bleak, brilliant comedy is far from ordinary

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/07/almas-not-normal-review-comedy-sophie-willan

Even the more highbrow channels are favouring the north,  4 of the 6 locations in this great series (on BBC 2 or 4 shortly) are in Northern England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000c78q/episodes/player

I think she also forgot Ski Sunday which has regional presenters too!

As does country file (and also has disabled presenters).

And the news last night was presented by a Welsh man.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Not really, Britbox is a pale imitation of a pay-to-view service and isn't it a collaboration with Channel 4, the other UK state broadcaster? I'm not an expert as you can tell :)

If the BBC wanted to keep it simple and maximise revenue for least effort, imagine it this way; put every single BBC news broadcast that's in the archive onto Youtube and collect the ad commission. 

That's just a single thing done in the most amateur-hour way imaginable and we can both easily imagine the £££ value it would create. Now parse that amateur-hour idea into the brains of people who live in the Netflix boardroom and bingo!

I'm skeptical there is any market for watching old news bulletins.

I suspect the comment is about the high level management and directorship of the BBC, not the on air talent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Board

22 people on the board and executive committee

1 who is a Baroness

1 who has a Baron as a parent

1 who has a Labour life peer as a parent

1 ex Conservative MP

1 ex comms director of the Conservatives

4 ex Cambridge

2 ex Oxford

Numerous CBEs

Mostly private school educated