Gas Prices :S

I'm using as much gas as possible while It's still cheap.......

Heating on full blast for 24 hrs, as is the water..

Got to box clever.

The forecast is for 12 degrees next week. She media seem to be suggesting that high prices will carry on, but surely prices always decrease in Spring/Summer?

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The forecast is for 12 degrees next week. She media seem to be suggesting that high prices will carry on, but surely prices always decrease in Spring/Summer?

Price of gas has dropped today from $400 to $300.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Report now predicting energy costs to rise by 45% to 50% next year without Govt intervention. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59760331

Presumably, (luckily?), if you're like us on a fixed contract for the next 3 years, you'll not be affected.  Bet the standing charges go up though? 

Nothing new here I have been pointing out since the beginning of the thread that prices will rise significantly when the cap is reviewed and the “rescue costs” of the failed energy companies will be paid by all not lucky enough to have long term fixes in place. 

by the way it is the cost of our bills that the reports refer to not wholesale energy prices which would be dire

43 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Over a decade ago the Warm Front grant scheme was introduced by the UK government to help make our homes more energy efficient and our heating bills more affordable. That scheme finished, but all houses should be well insulated. If they are not, why not?

Free solar panels to social housing tentents have been available for over a decade, they can also be free for those priveatly renting or house owners.

Warm Home Discount Scheme is still available and you might be able to get £140 per year off your electricity bill.

My parents didnt have these schemes when I was a child. Parents a well off compared to 50 years ago.

It means very little to me, no mortgage, no dependent kids, no debt, but I can remember the days that it would have hurt.

A little money saving tip for you. Generally gas central heating temperature is calibrated from a thermostat, ours is in the hall. These devices are not very reliable, best set it in conjunction with good thermometer, our wall stat was circa 15% too high, thus working the boiler harder than necessary and costing us money.

Heard a bloke on Radio Sheffield's news earlier saying that at present he's paying £70 per month for his gas.  He's been informed by email that this is increasing to £200 per month in a couple of months time. 

It was mentioned this morning on the tv that the Govt should consider imposing a one-off windfall tax on the energy producers as they are basically seeing their profits increase without actually doing anything due to the global increase in demand for their products. 

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Heard a bloke on Radio Sheffield's news earlier saying that at present he's paying £70 per month for his gas.  He's been informed by email that this is increasing to £200 per month in a couple of months time. 

Many individuals still do not fully understand that their direct debits set by their suppliers do not always, accurately, reflect actual prices and rises. They may also be reflecting a current underpayment.
Suppliers will want to be increasing debits to be sure of covering future, expected increases that will occur when the "price cap" increases in March, and current underpayments.
Last night, Martin Lewis was forecasting a cap increase of around 50% of today's prices.

4 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Last night, Martin Lewis was forecasting a cap increase of around 50% of today's prices.

Can the energy regulator do that?

Local Government cannot increase council tax above a certain level without a local referendum; maybe a 50% increase will need the permission of the Government.

On 23/12/2021 at 17:24, Padders said:

I'm using as much gas as possible while It's still cheap.......

Heating on full blast for 24 hrs, as is the water..

Got to box clever.

Iv'e noticed round here Padders that there are a few houses with the upstairs windows open in winter and have been for years . I'e , now't to  do with covid. I't makes you wonder if theyv'e  somehow turned the meter round and it's running in reverse. Lol.

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

Can the energy regulator do that?

Local Government cannot increase council tax above a certain level without a local referendum; maybe a 50% increase will need the permission of the Government.

Of course energy regulator can - if the government don't like it they can intervene and come up with ways to reduce the increase thought subsidies, VAT exemption, loans  and the like but at the end of the day unless the government do something then this increase will happen as the simple fact is that without the increase (or government help) there will be no energy suppliers and you and I will have no gas and electricity