Gas Prices :S

How much wholesale prices have increased is a factor of when your base (start point is) the further back over the last year/18 months the greater the increase

This is the USA, maybe the UK prices will increase at a similar level?

""About half of households use natural gas for heating and will see their bills jump by 30% in October-March compared to last year, the EIA it said.

Those who use heating oil or propane - around 10% - could see their costs jump by 54% and 43% respectively.

For the remainder that use electricity for heating, costs should rise by a more modest 6%, it said.""

is any one signed to to We switch for you , the company backed by Dragons Den mob , I have not heard a thing from them as yet and do not know who I should be paying for my gas and electric .

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

is any one signed to to We switch for you , the company backed by Dragons Den mob , I have not heard a thing from them as yet and do not know who I should be paying for my gas and electric .

Do you mean "Look after my bills?"

Have you checked in your account presumably the info is there

7 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Do you mean "Look after my bills?"

Have you checked in your account presumably the info is there

cheers

Fixed rate retail electricity has doubled (circa 30p/kwh), and gas has trebled (7.5p/kwh) from around the same time last year.

Some tedious kerfuffle in Westminster and media outlets today over something or other. As usual, totally irrelevant to most people lives. If households end up paying in excess of 3k/year for power when the price cap ends, and 2k for council tax, at the same time as general inflation is allowed to let rip, and public spending and taxation is out of control, they'll be out on their ear.

Report now predicting energy costs to rise by 45% to 50% next year without Govt intervention. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59760331

Presumably, (luckily?), if you're like us on a fixed contract for the next 3 years, you'll not be affected.  Bet the standing charges go up though? 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Report now predicting energy costs to rise by 45% to 50% next year without Govt intervention. 

Presumably, (luckily?), if you're like us on a fixed contract for the next 3 years, you'll not be affected.  Bet the standing charges go up though? 

To be honest that part should now be like the old phone line rental charges with broadband and factored into the unit cost. I had some door salesperson telling me to change supplier as the unit cost was cheaper than my current one. Trouble was their standing charges were higher than what I have now and the saving would have been around £45 PA!

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Just hope your supplier doesnt go bust, of if it does that the contract is offered.

Should the Government subsidise our energy, of course not. Higher energy prices will mean less energy used, good for the environment.

This forum is never shy of defining the ‘class system’, however I never thought that I’d see an ‘affording heating costs’ class, but we’re where we are.

37 minutes ago, crookesey said:

This forum is never shy of defining the ‘class system’, however I never thought that I’d see an ‘affording heating costs’ class, but we’re where we are.

Over a decade ago the Warm Front grant scheme was introduced by the UK government to help make our homes more energy efficient and our heating bills more affordable. That scheme finished, but all houses should be well insulated. If they are not, why not?

Free solar panels to social housing tentents have been available for over a decade, they can also be free for those priveatly renting or house owners.

Warm Home Discount Scheme is still available and you might be able to get £140 per year off your electricity bill.

My parents didnt have these schemes when I was a child. Parents a well off compared to 50 years ago.