Gas Prices :S

I'm not worried about the increase in heating costs as we have plenty of money 

If you are worried about heating costs why not go to a warmer country, we are planning to go to tenerife for 3 months during the colder months 

I did vote tory, a true blue 

But I do care about those around me

We have 8 days of stored gas when we could do with 8 weeks. When a commodity is in short supply it is usually more expensive than when it is in ready supply. So we need some very smart dealing to sort this lot out or all those expensive combi boilers are 8 days away from the scrap yard. 

So have a busy winter ladies and gents of the Tory party, if anyone is. capable of the duplicitous double dealing require to sort this mess out and make money out of it at the same time it’s you guys, good luck.

19 hours ago, crookesey said:

Today’s advice appears to be to stay put, I’m looking at a circa £350 increase, me being me, I’ll probably still have a nosey, how about you?

I am on a fixed contract and my energy supplier has just halved my direct debit which on the one hand could be a positive cause I was £60 in credit but on the other hand they have accurate estimates of my consumption but don't appear to be able to input into their equations that people will possibly use more energy in winter than summer!

On 08/10/2021 at 14:57, crookesey said:

Today’s advice appears to be to stay put, I’m looking at a circa £350 increase, me being me, I’ll probably still have a nosey, how about you?

We're staying put, mainly because the contract runs until May as that is when we moved, by then we will have a good look around. Our current provider was somehow foisted upon us and pretty dreadful.

We’re with Shell who will only offer their variable plan on renewal, if I can get a half decent fixed rate then I will switch.

Surely the answer to this Gas crisis is simple...

We have about 200yrs of gas stored beneath our feet, lets get cracking and do some fracking........

Come on Boris,

GET FRACKING DONE.

After my energy company has gone bust, I am now with British Gas and wondering how much I will be paying for my energy.

Cost with Peoples Energy = £60 per month, wholesale prices have increased by 40%

New bill should be around £85 per month?

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/energy-data-and-research/data-portal/wholesale-market-indicators

Or maybe not?

This has helped push up wholesale gas prices across the world. Since January, they've risen 250%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533

Edited by El Cid

I’m going to be investing in thermal underwear, hot water bottles and early nights 😀

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

Cost with Peoples Energy = £60 per month, wholesale prices have increased by 40%

The bill is made up of three parts:

1 Usage

2 VAT on usage

3 Standing charges

The first two will go up by 40% but the third will not.

Even more complex is that you will be paying more than most other British Gas users as you will be put on the base (highest rate).

Even more complicated is that the bill will have a higher estimate because of being a new customer and we are entering  winter

Read your meter. Pay for what you use. Look out for offers. Read Martin Lewis on gas prices.   

Edited by Annie Bynnol

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

After my energy company has gone bust, I am now with British Gas and wondering how much I will be paying for my energy.

On what basis have you based you 40% on there are so many factors at play here such as what contract you were on and when you took that contract out and what your old energy company was expecting to pay for their energy, was the old price based on accurate estimates of usage, was you energy company charging less because of lower summer usage rather than a fixed amount through the year

It is easy enough to work out what you will be paying look at the standing charge and then use your usage data to multiply up the cost per unit to get a rough figure

39 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

On what basis have you based you 40% on there are so many factors at play here such as what contract you were on and when you took that contract out and what your old energy company was expecting to pay for their energy, was the old price based on accurate estimates of usage, was you energy company charging less because of lower summer usage rather than a fixed amount through the year

Wholesale prices have increased by more than 50%, you can look at some data and wholesale prices have doubled or trebled.

I dont expect retail prices to treble, but an increase over 20% is very likely?