Identity Crisis

why is it that once your in a relationship your called babe or hun or darl etc your never called by your real name again,and once you have kids your not called by an affectionate name ,your just dad does anyone have any other names they are affectionally called

People in Sheffield often referred to each other, male or female, as duck.

Edited by harvey19

Hi,

I've lived in Sheffield nearly 70yrs and I've never heard of anybody referred to as 'duck'. To my knowledge 'duck' is a term of affection in North East Derbyshire/Chesterfield. My partner is from Chesterfield and her family always referred to each other as 'duck'. 

In Sheffield we are much more likely to refer to each other, male/female as 'love'.

Many years ago a friend of mine who had recently moved to Sheffield from London was shocked when a big bloke at a bus stop referred to him as 'love'.  I told him he would need to get used to this.  He has now lived here for over 35yrs and calls people 'love' himself!

Wazzie Worrall

• Haha 1

I’ve heard loads of people here say aye up me duck or something similar.

Same here but like everything else these days it's getting a bit PC, people take offence being called love Darling Pet you name it you have to be careful you don't offend.

Sad but that is the reality

I live close to the North/West Yorks border and my neighbour (RIP) who worked in the pits and on the land used to always use the term '**** eg  Hi'ya ****.

I've always used 'love' to the women whose name I don't know and never been pulled up about it yet.

Not tried it yet on a fella, however!

echo.

I've been censored! For the asterisks insert the shortened version of cockerel.

Edited by echo beach