The Greatest Players Of All Time .

20 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Alan Shearer scored over 50 headers in the Premier league.

Perhaps that's why Shearer and Charlton had receding hair lines as young men  or could it have been a Northumberland thing where they  were both born ?

When you think about it defenders head the ball a lot.

34 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

There may be one or two here.

And one of those was by Hurst from a high through ball by Charlton.............................

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And one of those was by Hurst from a high through ball by Charlton.............................

Yes I thought that but wasn't sure until you confirmed it.

Did yoy see Charlton head a goal like you requested?.

Edited by Alextopman

9 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Yes I thought that but wasn't sure until you confirmed it.

Did yoy see Charlton head a goal like you requested?.

One - apart from the one we all know against Benfica - and linking to a sequence of best of Bobby is hardly naming one.

That doesn't make him one of the greatest headers of a ball ever, or mean he scored plenty that way.

Edited by Longcol

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

One - apart from the one we all know against Benfica - and linking to a sequencepf best of Bobby is hardly naming one.

That doesn't make him one of the greatest headers of a ball ever, or mean he scored plenty that way.

You asked for one and you got it.

I was reading an article about him a while ago and it was saying how good he was and his headers were amongst the most powerful ever.

Maybe you can tell us how many he did score that way I don't know.

1 minute ago, Alextopman said:

You asked for one and you got it.

I was reading an article about him a while ago and it was saying how good he was and his headers were amongst the most powerful ever.

Maybe you can tell us how many he did score that way I don't know.

I asked you to name one - like from memory - not link to a video of "Best of Bobby" that includes one header (apart from the obvious) from the early 60's in what looks like a home international where the opponents centre half had gone missing.

It's your claim he was one of the greatest headers ever and he scored plenty that way.

Prove it.

You're getting nearly as bad as top4718.

32 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I asked you to name one - like from memory - not link to a video of "Best of Bobby" that includes one header (apart from the obvious) from the early 60's in what looks like a home international where the opponents centre half had gone missing.

It's your claim he was one of the greatest headers ever and he scored plenty that way.

Prove it.

You're getting nearly as bad as top4718.

You didn't ask me to name one from memory at all.'

Maybe I'm wrong I only quoted something I read about the power of his headers, if it's 

wrong you prove it you're the one wanting to argue the point.

You asked for one example you got it.

So are you saying because you only remember him scoring one header he didn't score anymore?

I've no idea how many he scored so maybe plenty was the wrong way to put it.

I did however read how good he was at headers it said some were almost as powerful as shots.

Only nearly thank heavens for that.

I was beginning to think top4718 had nicked your phone.

Edited by Alextopman

12 hours ago, cmonkes said:

There isn't a single Sheffield Wednesday or Sheffield United player in the greatest players of all time list.

We've both had some quality players, granted! But the real greats are the modern greats. The game has changed and the standard of football has improved! Both of the listed Owls players would be mediocre in today's game, as would the nominees from the lane.

Waddle's slow stopovers.... Woodward's dropping the ball on a sixpence. All fantastic stand outs of their era, but in today's game....perhaps not that spectacular.

Not really the greats of their time played that style of football, the greats of this time wouldn't last 10 minutes playing in the 60's or 70's on a heavy winter surface and not getting a foul for the slightest touch.

23 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Not really the greats of their time played that style of football, the greats of this time wouldn't last 10 minutes playing in the 60's or 70's on a heavy winter surface and not getting a foul for the slightest touch.

Agree Alex,

I have a picture in my mind of Billy Hodgson, at SUFC 1957 - 63, toiling through the winter quagmire that was the Bramall Lane pitch in those days, trying to play football and looking like a mud lark in the process! Or Keith Ketttleborough, 1960 -65, having fouled an opponent, then putting one boot on his back as he laid face down in the mud. Those were the days!

echo.

2 hours ago, echo beach said:

Agree Alex,

I have a picture in my mind of Billy Hodgson, at SUFC 1957 - 63, toiling through the winter quagmire that was the Bramall Lane pitch in those days, trying to play football and looking like a mud lark in the process! Or Keith Ketttleborough, 1960 -65, having fouled an opponent, then putting one boot on his back as he laid face down in the mud. Those were the days!

echo.

Trevor Hockey knew how to churn the mud....

8 hours ago, Padders said:

Trevor Hockey knew how to churn the mud....

Remember a night match at the Lane (74/75?) when Hockey and Bremner spent 90 minutes kicking lumps off each other while the ref let the game carry on around them.

Mind you - we're straying into the dirtiest players of all time.............................................

Edited by Longcol