Meat And Vegatable Shortages

Where are all of these fruit and veg pickimg jobs near Sheffield, out of interest?

31 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Where are all of these fruit and veg pickimg jobs near Sheffield, out of interest?

In Norfolk, just on the outskirts.....

Right so the OP wants all Sheffield jobless people to be packed off to East Anglia to do seasonal fruit and veg picking work?

6 hours ago, amazon123 said:

Brexit Britain.

No this is nothing to do with Brexit. It can't be.

Boris promised us 'sunlit uplands' in a post Brexit Britain, and he speaks the truth about everything.

3 hours ago, Meltman said:

Of course they can, they don't need a degree from university!

Unfortunately most don't want to as they get free money thrown at them.

It's not free money if you've worked and contributed to the system.

22 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No this is nothing to do with Brexit. It can't be.

Boris promised us 'sunlit uplands' in a post Brexit Britain, and he speaks the truth about everything.

It's not free money if you've worked and contributed to the system.

You absolutely right, it's not free money if you have worked and contributed to the system,  the OP mentioned young people who I think won't have contributed as much.

Where?

is this another of those stories about farmers bleating that they can’t pay poverty wages?

or is it one of those stories about shoppers who can’t get special mangos without going next door?

For the last two years i have been mulling over going over to Lincolnshire to help with the harvest, I having worked for the nhs and subsequently support services to it would consider my time harvesting food the most worthwhile  employment I would have had. Perhaps  organise a car full, get a cheap caravan to doss in. Not sure how dire the situation really is as i don't believe any thing I read any more, I would like some reassurance from an organisation we could believe..

Too many people in this country  have to low regard for food production and distribution, without doctors a few more of  of us would die, with out food many would a die.

So many want to give money (especially tax payers) for foreign countries that  have people starving but would see our own produce rot because labouring to process food is either beneath them, too much effort for the money, "boring", or "dirty". bear in mind its one planet, there is so much food what we want but don't grow we take from others.

Worst still, the "why should i physically exert myself doing this", brigade, "i can pay to go to the gym" and be trendy for exercise.  When i was young we used to help local farmer lead the hay, started when at school age which the money seemed great (we didn't get the money from parents to behave, just good hiding if didn't) in the barns filled with dust, hot summer (70's) it was quite horrible but still once working carried on, as we used to say some daft gits pay for this exercise., and gyms were a lot rarer then and usually sweaty men in vests.

Excellent post Arthur. 

dont they offer caravans to stay in?,i would of thought young folk would be okay and like to work on a farm and earn cash rather than not work,theres a shortage in factorys as well,you cannot get cash for nothing for ever can they?

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

dont they offer caravans to stay in?,i would of thought young folk would be okay and like to work on a farm and earn cash rather than not work,theres a shortage in factorys as well,you cannot get cash for nothing for ever can they?

So you still want people to be forced to drop everything and move (in some cases) hundreds of miles to go and live in a caravan, probably sharing with a stranger, to do seasonal fruit picking work?

Yes I cant imagine for a minute why they havent forced people to do that.

@HeHasRisen it's what farmers have expected people to do for years except that they travelled much further from all over the EU. Well, not from all over, from the eastern accession nations where UK poverty wages and conditions seem great by comparison. 

Why should they? Where's the dignity in doing work that Brits are "too good for"?

Edited by Tony

Guest makapaka
39 minutes ago, Tony said:

@HeHasRisen it's what farmers have expected people to do for years except that they travelled much further from all over the EU. Well, not from all over, from the eastern accession nations where UK poverty wages and conditions seem great by comparison. 

Why should they? Where's the dignity in doing work that Brits are "too good for"?

Who said brits were too good for it? Maybe they just don’t want to do it.

what do you do then?