Ice Cream Van's To Be Banned In Sheffield Smh

I'm hearing repeat offenders are going to get jail time, & we're talking years - possibly up to 99

22 minutes ago, geared said:

What is the cost to convert to run these machines off battery?

Freezers generally use 30-50 watts, which should be ok off a 12V battery, but the whippy machine could use more?

Whippy machines, generally, the product is still in a chilled liquid form until it's processed in the machine, it's frozen down there and then. This means the machine uses a lot more than 30-50 watts, more close to 3kw.

A quick google suggests a typical machine runs at 12A @ 220V, so 2600w. You then have to factor the inverter power usage, converting 12v to 220 takes power and the inverter will probably be much larger than needed due to efficiency & loading. You don't want to be loading the inverter almost at max constantly so they will use one with a much higher output. 

On 04/10/2021 at 10:07, PRESLEY said:

In the sixties Walls used to employ people at the weekends to  walk up and down streets  with a barrow containing a big block of ice to keep the stock cold, he used to knock on doors but most of the time kids would spot him and fetch the parents out,   he had to be like lightning going up and down the garden paths because the free standing barrow was left to the mercy of swarming kids.  :hihi:

I used to live in Gloucester where there was a Walls factory, and this old guy used to pedal around the streets on a trike with a big box on the back shouting "Come buy your Walls". I used to think he was shouting "Come by your walls" and would go and stand dutifully by our front wall, just waiting. In my defence, I was only 5!

To power the generator required for the fridge, freezer and Carpigiani machine the first Whippy vans used a Ford Anglia engine running on TVR.  Even with modern technology,  I don't see battery power being practical. 

Hmmm... :huh:

For anyone that's REALLY interested (the video is 50 minutes long!), Edd China has converted a traditional ice cream van to run on batteries... :)