Ice Cream Van's To Be Banned In Sheffield Smh

10 hours ago, Conshefsky said:

Could coincide that councillors from the old labour run council were in disagreement with ice van owner now they want to ban ice cream Van's smh  nothing like taking away the living  of the working class so labour don't loose face Cants London accent 

Hic!

a total disgrace this goverment,its a english tradition ice cream on a wet cold july day nowt like it,they should help these companys get better equipment and help them with the change over if its that important,bet if it was summat posh they would help out,we need our traditions. plus they ae blooming nice to eat

I suspect the newer ice cream vans dont need the engine on,  if these companies want to run polluting vehicles more fool them. 

10 hours ago, Padders said:

🎶  🎶  🎵  🎵  🎼  🎼.

🎵  🎵  🎶  🎶  🎼  🎼.

Stop me and buy one........

Didn't they have something like this written on certain machines in mens toilets, oh! I remember now it said,  buy one and stop one. :hihi:

I like how the council response is 'there are alternatives' then doesn't say what they are.

37 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I like how the council response is 'there are alternatives' then doesn't say what they are.

Well yes - ice cream vans that dont need the engine running in order to operate the Whippy machine.

22 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes - ice cream vans that dont need the engine running in order to operate the Whippy machine.

I can't say I'm an expert on ice cream vans, but some Googling says that the largest manufacturer of ice cream vans in the UK, Whitby Morrison, launched it's electric van last year. So SCC without consultation with the ice cream vendors, has created a requirement that the vendor needs to purchase a brand new van to sell ice cream. I'm sure that's great for the vendor after an awful financial period - I can't see a price list but comments on Facebook suggest this new electric van is upwards of £100k.

Do the more modern diesel ones allow the machine to be operated without the engine on? I have no idea tbh.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I suspect the newer ice cream vans dont need the engine on,  if these companies want to run polluting vehicles more fool them. 

Correct.  Like most camper vans they can run their freezers on electricity.  All the council has to do is provide some power points.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do the more modern diesel ones allow the machine to be operated without the engine on? I have no idea tbh.

Its all a question of what power they have on board.  Internal batteries could power the fridges and other equipment, but they'd barely last an hour or two. 

My camper had a small fridge freezer than could run on three power sources - the engine running, a mains hookup or the on-board gas supply.

Edited by alchresearch

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

a total disgrace this goverment,its a english tradition ice cream on a wet cold july day nowt like it,they should help these companys get better equipment and help them with the change over if its that important,bet if it was summat posh they would help out,we need our traditions. plus they ae blooming nice to eat

Discarded ice cream cones are notorious for attracting rats, especially in local parks where children are playing

Poor air quality is a serious issue that has a serious negative effect on health. It seems to me that ice cream vans have used the same technology for decades, in fact some of the vans are decades old. No-one wants to have to fork out big sums of money, but it does from the outside at least look like an industry that's been able to coast on old, polluting technology for a long time. It's issues like this that cry out for a government green investment bank that can lend to companies on generous terms to help them transition to cleaner tech. Turns out we had one in the UK until the Tories, er... sold it.

get them on bikes selling ice cream,no polution problems there