Sign in to follow this  

Student's Appreciation Of Sheffield

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

So you say to the ppl who own the house, and have lived there for 30+ years to 'move to another area' because of students?

they were there waaay before the students...

The 'students' started to move into the smaller houses in Crookes at the beginning of the 70's when:

when the age of majority changed it reduced the legal need for chaperoned 'residences'. 

huge increase in student numbers.

large numbers of houses that needed modernizing to sell were instead rented out.

young families did not find the houses attractive.

Before that the larger houses in Broomhill were bought by the University and managed by them. This and the Halls made Broomhill more attractive to businesses. And Crookes residents shopped in Broomhill. Fifty years later the situation has reversed. 

Along Crookes there are now at least 34 businesses selling food and drink to take home or eat in. In Broomhill the last Bank and Chippy have closed their doors. There are 20+ pubs( and increasing ) within walking distance.

The demography is changing again with a marked decline of student housing as the demand for homes is massive. In the 70's and 80's there was some anger aimed at the perceived takeover by students in some localized areas of Crookes but most realized the benefits far exceeded the negatives and has made Crookes an exceedingly attractive area to live.

eh... everyone has their own opinion, i'm just going on what I hear from people who have lived up that way all their lives (30+ years) and ppl who have worked up there..

seems i'm not alone in thinking there are too many in general...

https://www.reddit.com/r/sheffield/comments/w3ghm4/too_much_student_accommodation/too_much_student_accommodation

Edited by Ghozer

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

eh... everyone has their own opinion, i'm just going on what I hear from people who have lived up that way all their lives (30+ years) and ppl who have worked up there..

seems i'm not alone in thinking there are too many in general...

https://www.reddit.com/r/sheffield/comments/w3ghm4/too_much_student_accommodation/too_much_student_accommodation

I have been living in Crookes for 35 years and in the area for another 15.

Your link refers the opinion of the Council about a development on Maltravers Road.

This kind of development is the reason why the student numbers in Crookes has peaked as many prefer to live in purpose built accommodation. 

I'm referring to the comments on the thread, talking about how there's too much student housing etc, and crookes is named specifically..

there's too much generally in Sheff imho!

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I'm referring to the comments on the thread, talking about how there's too much student housing etc, and crookes is named specifically..

there's too much generally in Sheff imho!

Only you have specified Crookes as an area with too much student housing.

Only you are talking about there being too much student housing in Sheffield.

13 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Only you have specified Crookes as an area with too much student housing.

Only you are talking about there being too much student housing in Sheffield.

And? my link to the reddit thread is still relevant to what I was talking about..

when I said "im referring to the comments on the thread...." etc, I was talking about the REDDIT thread, not this/the forum...
Just in case you didn't know/realise...

Edited by Ghozer

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

And? my link to the reddit thread is still relevant to what I was talking about..

when I said "im referring to the comments on the thread...." etc, I was talking about the REDDIT thread, not this/the forum...
Just in case you didn't know/realise...

Places change, most of Crookes, by area certainly, is little more than a hundred years old and since it was created each generation has generated some that objected to horse buses, charabancs, pubs, racecourse, sports and leisure facilities, the electric trams and the new housing for the 'workers'. 

The decline in the seventies killed off many suburban centres but Crookes survived. Even visually it remains almost unchanged- apart from too many cars. Even the most negative would view the 'students' and their money a necessary evil.

I am very sceptical of using anonymous social media comments as evidence.  I think I'll pop off to the Ball as it has just reopened and listen to real people. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 16:20, Ghozer said:

So you say to the ppl who own the house, and have lived there for 30+ years to 'move to another area' because of students?

they were there waaay before the students...

No.  If you read and quote my post correctly, I only said it about those who live nearby and COMPLAIN about students. 

The University has been there since the early 1900's and so have most of the old stone terraced houses within walking distance, so I would think that students and local residents have lived side by side for more than 30+ years.

If I knew I wasn't enjoying where I lived for whatever reason, why would I  continue to live there and give myself grief and stress  for years and years?   

some  of the nicest people ive met have been students you cant discriminate against a whole audience of people

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nathan Clark said:

some  of the nicest people ive met have been students you cant discriminate against a whole audience of people

Nice one Nathan! 👍

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 01:14, Tipstaff said:

Nice one Nathan! 👍

always be nice