Sarah Everard.

1 hour ago, saywhatnow said:

No, nor do I think that the police don't need to do anything about bent coppers. I'm merely trying to say why I think the media coverage has taken a particular direction. 

Yes I get that but I just think an opportunity is being missed with the reporting. In my view the focus should be on police criminality. This would have been an ideal time to shine a light on them and force some change with the police. 

Just now, The Joker said:

So if an ordinary civilian rapes and murders somebody, that's somehow better? 

Wow. You'd need to be really twisted to think like that. 

We'll done for showing your true colours. 👍

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yes I get that but I just think an opportunity is being missed with the reporting. In my view the focus should be on police criminality. This would have been an ideal time to shine a light on them and force some change with the police. 

That side of it is definitely not being talked about as much in the media. It'd be very disappointing if that was being done brush it aside so nothing had to be done about it. Hopefully that's not the case and there are reviews and processes in place to see what can be done to minimise risks like this. 

I certainly don't think that his abuse of power is irrelevant in this story. 

11 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Wow. You'd need to be really twisted to think like that. 

We'll done for showing your true colours. 👍

Like I said yesterday, you're just not very smart.  You just keep on digging them holes 🙂

This seems to be about how you slice the data*.

If you slice by gender of murder victims then male victims outnumber female victims by around 2 to 1.

If you slice by gender of rape victims then female victims outnumber male victims by around 6 to 1.

If you slice by gender of street crime victims then (I think) male victims outnumber female victims.

If you think the gender of the perp is important then of course you find male perps are far in the majority.

Perhaps it is relevant that the big win in terms of reducing 'femicide' would be to cut domestic violence which is the most common scenario for the murder of women accounting for something like half of all such murders. The Sarah Everard case was not of course an instance of domestic violence. It was also not typical of a rape because stranger rape is very much the exception. Here the big win would be to cut rapes by husbands and partners.

My own view: looked at from the perspective of potential victims this was a one-off, it does not fit a common pattern and its better to make changes based on criminology and data rather than one-offs. In terms of perpetrators, I do not know whether there is an issue about the police angle. @The_DADDY, is there a source for the officer's prior misconduct?

* It's a while since I looked at the data so I am going from memory of old data: murders from ONS (?) data, rapes from Crime Survey of England and Wales/ British Crime Survey.

I also think with the type of crime it was, it was committed because of the type of man he was and not because he was a police officer. Because of the type of man he was he used his status as a police officer to do what he did. If he'd never become a police officer but became a taxi driver (for example) he might have used that as a way to do what he did.

What ever sentence he gets tomorrow will be nothing compared to what he gets when behind bars.

Best of luck to the other 'lifers' who have nothing to lose by giving this scum bag rapist murderer  everything he deserves.

12 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

I also think with the type of crime it was, it was committed because of the type of man he was and not because he was a police officer. Because of the type of man he was he used his status as a police officer to do what he did. If he'd never become a police officer but became a taxi driver (for example) he might have used that as a way to do what he did.

I  don't know what the background is. I assumed from the OP that other police officers might have covered for him or failed to investigate complaints.

3 hours ago, The Joker said:

then it very much is a man v woman thing.

Nah, it’s more like, men who think it’s okay to rape women, v, everyone else.

Police turning a blind eye to bad police officers, is a separate issue.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Like I said yesterday, you're just not very smart.  You just keep on digging them holes 🙂

Oh dear. You really are poor at this aren't you. You have a lovely evening ❤️

The following comes from wiki ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sarah_Everard ) :

"The Metropolitan Police asked the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) to conduct an investigation into whether two officers had responded appropriately to reports from 28 February that Couzens had indecently exposed himself at a fast-food restaurant in south London; he had been questioned about these allegations days before he was accused of Everard's murder.[12][36][58] The IOPC also reported that it was investigating whether Kent police had properly investigated allegations of indecent exposure against Couzens made in 2015, when he was employed as an armed officer by the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.[59] On 9 July, the IOPC announced that it had served 12 misconduct notices on officers in regards to the investigation.[60]"

So there definitely is a police problem.

Edited by Carbuncle

1 hour ago, saywhatnow said:

That side of it is definitely not being talked about as much in the media. It'd be very disappointing if that was being done brush it aside so nothing had to be done about it. Hopefully that's not the case and there are reviews and processes in place to see what can be done to minimise risks like this

I certainly don't think that his abuse of power is irrelevant in this story. 

If that were to happen then at least this poor girl won't be just another statistic and her death could result in wholesale changes in how the police are investigated. The 1st thing that needs to change is the police investigating themselves. If this guy had previous for anything then a separate body may have dealt with him in a proper fashion long before he was able to abuse his position the way he did. 

30 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I  don't know what the background is. I assumed from the OP that other police officers might have covered for him or failed to investigate complaints.

Yes it seems that way. Neither side of this crime should be ignored