Car Parking In City Centre

33 minutes ago, The Joker said:

People still carry cash with them?

Really?

I haven't done that for years now, since Chip & PIN and contactess payments became the norm.

I use neither for parking, I use the PayByPhone app, and can extend my parking time at will.

But plenty do still carry cash, I do for tipping in restaurants and the like. Can't recall the last time I shovelled coins into a parking meter though.

45 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I didn’t think that there could be another reason for me not to visit SCC, and then as if by magic ———————-

-------------nothing changed.

5 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Does seem a bit of a non-story, that council parking one. Many businesses have parking spaces for their employees, I'm not sure the council are doing much worse there.

On that subject though, I would like to see Sheffield think about a Workplace Parking Levy like the one they have in Nottingham. Without directly imposing a congestion charge on workers, they are useful for a) building up a pot of money for public transport investment and b) encouraging employers to put more effort in to travel plans etc. with their workers.

I think I'm right in saying that most Nottingham employers who face the levy are fairly supportive of it still because that money goes back in to local transport links which of course reap their own benefits for those companies. Nottingham does have greater control over it's transport network though (buses for example) than Sheffield does, so might not have the same impact.

They have already looked into the workplace parking levy. Doing further work on it is included in the Sheffield Parking Strategy ( do an online search and you’ll find it). 

A good number of employers ( around half if I recall correctly) in Nottingham (including the council) pass the levy on to their staff who have parking spaces. Some also add on a percentage to cover their “administration” costs…..

When the levy was proposed some employers, including very large ones objected to it and said they’d leave or move their operations outside the charging area, but in practice, when it was introduced, that didn’t happen. I was told a couple of years back that only one employer had left and cited the levy as a primary reason.

The council use  the income to underwrite the local contributions to the ( considerable) cost of tram extensions, as well as paying for some other local transport initiatives. 

18 hours ago, The Joker said:

People still carry cash with them?

Really?

I haven't done that for years now, since Chip & PIN and contactess payments became the norm.

A few places you wouldn't be allowed to purchase anything around here. My wifes unisex hairdresser, cash only, same with both fish and chip shops and the coffee and takeaway sandwich place.