Car Parking In City Centre

377 out of how many?

EDIT - ah I see, already answered. Not many then is it?

What an absolute garbage article. This quote...

"There are 377 councillors and staff who have an opportunity to park in internal council building car parks.

The parking provision is not based on seniority or grade but is available for councillors who drive, rather than use public transport, for council activities."

How many councillors does she think Sheffield has?

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

377 out of how many?

EDIT - ah I see, already answered. Not many then is it?

8000+ according to Wikipedia

Right OK so what does she want to happen? If these buildings come with parking spaces they are there to be used.

I used to work for a bank back office in a city centre that allowed at least 20% of the staff a free parking space, based on length of service. Whats the issue?

Edited by HeHasRisen

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Right OK so what does she want to happen? If these buildings come with parking spaces they are there to be used.

I used to work for a bank back office in a city centre that allowed at least 20% of the staff a free parking space, based on length of service. Whats the issue?

Hmmm... :huh:

Just think how many more Council employees could be catered for if all those car parking spaces were converted to secure bicycle parking racks... :hihi:

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Sheffield Star has completely lost it with click bait and recycled stories, especially across the owners other regional papers. 

Cashless ways of payment may be creeping in over time in different businesses. For example, you can't pay to get on a bus in London anymore. All gone contactless by Oyster, card or mobile payment.

Not so bad if you know its cashless before you get there, its the way the world is going, if people dont want to keep with the times thats their problem.

Does seem a bit of a non-story, that council parking one. Many businesses have parking spaces for their employees, I'm not sure the council are doing much worse there.

On that subject though, I would like to see Sheffield think about a Workplace Parking Levy like the one they have in Nottingham. Without directly imposing a congestion charge on workers, they are useful for a) building up a pot of money for public transport investment and b) encouraging employers to put more effort in to travel plans etc. with their workers.

I think I'm right in saying that most Nottingham employers who face the levy are fairly supportive of it still because that money goes back in to local transport links which of course reap their own benefits for those companies. Nottingham does have greater control over it's transport network though (buses for example) than Sheffield does, so might not have the same impact.

IM writing this out word for word as posted on sheffield online

FREE PARKING GIVEN TO HUNDREDS OF SHEFFIELD COUNCIL STAFF

hundreds of Sheffield councillors and employees have access to free parking

despite politicians urging residents to walk or cycle 

some 377 councillors and staff can use parking spaces in council owned buildings.

a freedom of information request reveals  

8 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

some 377 councillors and staff can use parking spaces in council owned buildings.

What for? Discussed extensively earlier in this thread.

Only room for 5% of staff. Seems reasonable, some staff may require a car during the working day or may require a car to get to work because of some disability.

A non story.

I didn’t think that there could be another reason for me not to visit SCC, and then as if by magic ———————-

14 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

And? Lots of office buildings come with car parking spaces, what do you expect should be done with them?

16 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Can't see anywhere in the story where council officers have said they are removing the option to pay in cash.

People still carry cash with them?

Really?

I haven't done that for years now, since Chip & PIN and contactess payments became the norm.