Car Parking In City Centre

Our Council is considering parking pay and display machines not taking cash or cards.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/thousands-of-sheffield-motorists-could-be-left-stranded-if-pay-and-display-machines-stop-accepting-cash-and-cards-3397902?utm_campaign=shef-newsletter-news-api&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=164547243&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9Yd3u2V5csrxQSQCXEuj_KarO7KPuoWHB77uKo8dPYP5FmELmjMGTGjIqfBpGzWR3Vy5nwo0SZni8OfYdLuuK0ifwlpLN9aCrRSkb39Op9GCnr4xU&utm_content=164547243&utm_source=hs_email

I for one will not be venturing anywhere near the city centre if this becomes the norm. Although I do have a mobile phone I do not always carry it with me. The days have long passed since a mobile was stuck to my ears and now is only used for emergency situations.

Another case of SCC not thinking things through.

24 minutes ago, dan2802 said:

Another case of SCC not thinking things through.

Nope.

They are thinking things through.

And that's the problem.

Maybe they should just give this thinking thing a rest for the time being.

Why don't SCC have the spheres to put up big signs on selected roads leading to the city centre with the words....Unless you have one of the following vehicles turn round and go away. 

Allowed vehicles. 

Any electrically powered car,van,bus,bike,tram, taxi. 

Delivery vehicles (restricted time)

Buses,  must be hybrids

Bicycles,disabled vehicles displaying a correct permit. 

Roller skates,scooters.

Pedestrians also allowed. 

Everyone would then be clear about what is allowed rather than trying to put people off by making it difficult, for example roads blocked by buses stopping adjacent to each other, parking by phone only, closing roads and making access difficult etc. This would show that Sheffield intends to be a "green " city rather than pretend to be one. 

I have to commend the Council for considering this proposal. I was sorely afraid that their attempts to run the city centre into the ground had stalled.

Since the pandemic began I've parked in town three times. Why should I jump through an extra hoop and buy a fancy mobile just to park for a couple of hours? I rarely went into the city centre before the pandemic, if this becomes the policy, then I for one will give the city a wide berth. I've already found alternatives to the city centre; I suspect many others will as well.

Nobody is asking you to have a fancy mobile, one capable of making a phone call would suffice.

Can't see anywhere in the story where council officers have said they are removing the option to pay in cash.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Can't see anywhere in the story where council officers have said they are removing the option to pay in cash.

Correct.

It just appears to be reporting that the opposition councillors have called into scrutiny committee a decision to re tender the cashless payment provider contract. It is their right to do that. All important decisions can be called into scrutiny. It’s just a routine council process, the scrutiny committee call in a range of decisions every year.

The contract is re tendered from time to time in accordance with the council’s procurement rules.

It doesn’t appear that anyone is suggesting dropping cash payments:

“Officers say the service is not designed to replace cash payments”

Edited by Planner1

39 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So a thread about nothing then?

Panick reaction, a life filled with fear.

As soon as they think it's over they worry, heard from friend that many people just got for few pound petrol and one only put 7 pence in the tank.

Although petrol thing will only be temporary and council would be crazy enough to start cashless parking payment only.

Edited by dutch

In today's Star

There are 377 councillors and staff who have an opportunity to park in internal council building car parks.

The parking provision is not based on seniority or grade but is available for councillors who drive, rather than use public transport, for council activities.

Blue badge holders or staff with mobility problems are also catered for. And there are spaces for staff who use their vehicle for business use plus a limited number of corporate 24/7 on call duty emergency planning employees.

Coun Douglas Johnson, Executive member for transport, said the council should lead by example in promoting alternatives to private cars.

“We all need to do our bit to use cars less, especially in the city centre. Using cars less means cleaner air and safer roads and supports our public transport network.

“There are some good reasons why councillors and staff need access to cars, including for people with severe disabilities and those who need to use the car on legitimate official business, however, this can and should be minimised.

“Green councillors proposed a budget-saving amendment to stop reimbursing car parking claims for elected members who do not have a blue badge.

“Councillors need to be properly remunerated for their work but should use public transport unless really necessary.

“There is also an opportunity for the council to invest in cleaner electric cars and bikes for officers to carry out visits on official business. This would reduce the number of private cars being brought into the city centre unnecessarily.”

A Freedom of Information request revealed councillors and staff are allocated against one of five different categories.

The FOI says: “They are allocated permits to access an opportunity to park, rather than a parking space, either within our core building car parks or on-street little used bays or car parks.

“This avoids a significant expenditure on resources authorising, processing and refunding legitimate expenses claims and staff having to pay and display then awaiting refund for business use expenses.

“An annual renewal process takes place requiring line managers to confirm that staff still meet the appropriate criteria. If they do not for staff and their role or use has changed, provision is removed.”

There are 39 officers with blue badges and 71 members of staff with mobility problems who can park each time they are at work.

Other councillors or staff should only use the parking provision for business use.

The FOI adds: “The estimated cost of an on-street public parking bay for all day, everyday use if it was purchased is around £1,500. We do not charge for parking in our internal building car parks so could not give information on value.

“Blue badge holders would not pay for parking. The value of business use will be variable dependent on how often and how long they park.”

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

In today's Star

So, under 5% of employees then