Vhs/Hdd/Dvd Video Recorder

Hi to all the forum. 

Need help getting data off the hard drive of a Funai VHS/HDD/DVD Recorder. 

The machine has stopped working, so just need family videos from the hdd. 

Its the old ide HD, have put it on a computer using adapter cables. The HD appears in Device Manager and shows as working, but does not appear where the Local Disks appear. So I'm unable to copy data from it. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction please so I can copy videos and data from it. 

All help appreciated. 

You might need to manually assign a drive letter via Disk Manager.

Try that first, then we have a better idea of the format of drive, and any videos on it.

2 minutes ago, zach said:

You might need to manually assign a drive letter via Disk Manager.

Try that first, then we have a better idea of the format of drive, and any videos on it.

Thank you Zach, will try that. Not sure how to do that though. 

Quite possible that the drive format isn't one that Windows recognises. So it knows you have a HDD there, it just can't read anything from it.

12 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Quite possible that the drive format isn't one that Windows recognises. So it knows you have a HDD there, it just can't read anything from it.

Very likely the case. Is there anything I can do to rectify this issue? 

I will try what Zach (above) suggested later. 

You should be able to use the Disk Management utility in Windows to see what partitions are on the physical drive, but if it doesn't recognise the format of the partition then it won't say what the format is. 

It might also be encrypted to prevent people ripping films from the HD.

The first case might be solvable by finding a utility that can identify and read from the drive - none spring to mind however - but the second means the drive is dead in the water as the only device that has the key and could read it was the DVD recorder.

24 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I was thinking this. I seem to remember a previous post about a DVR HDD, and how it wouldn't mount, or accept a drive letter.

As for getting to Disk Manager, Right click on the Windows logo > disk manager . right click on the drive and select 'change drive letter (or something like that)

Try the basic stuff, and maybe a Linux live was used on the last post?

I've extracted data from Humax hard drive recorders in the past.

Linux is your best bet as they don't use the usual Windows formats.