A Worker Is Not Just For Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's not a solution though. There are so many ways of looking at it, not least is that why should the UK get to import young people to do low-paid or dirty work at the expense of their home nation? The same goes for the other end of the scale where we're importing healthcare workers from nations who struggle with the most basic healthcare provision so our we can cut our waiting times for the luxury of (for example) cancer care and cosmetic surgery. 

Actually, it is a solution and one you have proposed elsewhere: it's called a market.

The UK is able to provide better opportunities to some from poorer nations even if those same opportunities are not appealing to UK citizens. It can make all parties better off.

Your comment on healthcare workers is also fallacious: you have failed to take into account that the supply is not fixed ... more can be trained so our import of healthcare workers need not lead to a shortage elsewhere.

@Carbuncle I'll give you that it's a market and a solution. Not good, desirable or sustainable though, especially if we're respecting human dignity. 

However, if you don't already know, I'd suggest that you also look up what a Ponzi scheme is.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

@Carbuncle I'll give you that it's a market and a solution. Not good, desirable or sustainable though, especially if we're respecting human dignity. 

It's similar to other markets. You're presumably prepared to pay the same foreign workers for the goods they produce in other countries when they're exported to the UK, aren't you? Of course if you're suggesting there is an issue with working conditions in this country and you would like to see better regulation ...

3 hours ago, Tony said:

However, if you don't already know, I'd suggest that you also look up what a Ponzi scheme is.

This has nothing to do with Ponzi schemes.

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It wasn't an idiot. It was someone who understands business and knows the 3 months before Christmas is the busiest trading period of the year when temporary workers are required to meet increased demand for goods and services.

If they understood business they'd have allowed many more temporary work visas than they have. They'd have also implemented a phased approach to restrictions on employing EU workers and whilst also implementing something to force companies to train replacements.

Have you any plans to return to Croatia anytime soon?

You should probably find out if croat77 can drive HGVs before asking questions like that.

6 hours ago, croat77 said:

Hahaha, what a idiot came up with that 😆

"Go on, work for 3 months, then get back to your country, you bloody foreigner" ... Seems to me that someone is snorting too much icing sugar

This ^^^^

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It wasn't an idiot. It was someone who understands business and knows the 3 months before Christmas is the busiest trading period of the year when temporary workers are required to meet increased demand for goods and services.

Not this ^^^^

Just you stay where you are, @croat77 we're struggling with our non-idiot to idiot ratio and need all the help we can get.

Edited by Carbuncle

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Have you any plans to retrain as an HGV driver sooner still?

Maybe look beyond BBC News and red tops, for an idea of how that short-term visa offer to furreiner HGV drivers is going down, in the markets it’s aimed at 😉

Edited by L00b

@Carbuncle as well as "Ponzi scheme" you also need to look up "false equivalence" 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I'm more than happy to let market forces sort out the alleged HGV driver shortage.  It's normal for more drivers to be required in the run up to Christmas just like it's normal for the post office to need more workers.  The problem at petrol stations caused by the media is over and didn't need foreign HGV drivers to sort out.  

Medium term it will.

On 01/10/2021 at 13:10, croat77 said:

Hahaha, what a idiot came up with that 😆

"Go on, work for 3 months, then get back to your country, you bloody foreigner" ... Seems to me that someone is snorting too much icing sugar

My mate went to Australia because they needed good brickies back then . He was given a three year visa . When his visa ran out , he wanted to stay but was told ,we dont need brickies anymore , so he came home . Whats wrong with that ?

33 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

My mate went to Australia because they needed good brickies back then . He was given a three year visa . When his visa ran out , he wanted to stay but was told ,we dont need brickies anymore , so he came home . Whats wrong with that ?

Three years might make the practical details of moving to another country (finding accommodation, etc.) worthwhile. For three months, it's not worth it. Particularly when you can get better working conditions and pay elsewhere closer to home.

12 minutes ago, altus said:

Three years might make the practical details of moving to another country (finding accommodation, etc.) worthwhile. For three months, it's not worth it. Particularly when you can get better working conditions and pay elsewhere closer to home.

I understand that but surely its just supply and demand 

49 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I understand that but surely its just supply and demand 

Absolutely it is.

So, what’s the take-up rate like, so far?

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

I'm more than happy to let market forces sort out the alleged HGV driver shortage.  It's normal for more drivers to be required in the run up to Christmas just like it's normal for the post office to need more workers.  The problem at petrol stations caused by the media is over and didn't need foreign HGV drivers to sort out.  

Sound, no problem then 🤗 

Edited by L00b