A Worker Is Not Just For Christmas.

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and how do they know what those are like if they dont come to the interview einstein?

i know almost everywhere in hospitality around whitby is the same, everybody needs staff, especially chefs, we aren't unique, same with a local factory, they have vacancies on all 3 shifts which is a first.

You said that you advertised the post. Are the pay and conditions a secret or do potential employees have to just guess if they fancy working for you? You don't need to be Einstein to know that's a really dumb way to attract staff.

When the Minimum Wage first came in I made it known that my hospitality business paid MW+10% + perks to the newest and least skilled workers and we were inundated with people who were working for employers who were bitching about having to pay MW. 

I'm not just a pretty face you know - brains too! :) 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

You said that you advertised the post. Are the pay and conditions a secret or do potential employees have to just guess if they fancy working for you? You don't need to be Einstein to know that's a really dumb way to attract staff.

When the Minimum Wage first came in I made it known that my hospitality business paid MW+10% + perks to the newest and least skilled workers and we were inundated with people who were working for employers who were bitching about having to pay MW. 

I'm not just a pretty face you know - brains too! :) 

that was a while ago now, weve had brexit since then, and too many vacancies is industry wide at present, i posted a turkey factory boss talking the other day in the brexit thread, hes got the same problem (small amount of people turning up for interviews)

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

that was a while ago now, weve had brexit since then, and too many vacancies is industry wide at present, i posted a turkey factory boss talking the other day in the brexit thread, hes got the same problem (small amount of people turning up for interviews)

Does he have the same problem of having crappy pay and conditions and an astounding lack of awareness what people think of his offer?

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Does he have the same problem of having crappy pay and conditions and an astounding lack of awareness what people think of his offer?

you sound just like those idiots in the labour party advocating £15 an hour to solve all problems, where does the £15 an hour come from?

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

you sound just like those idiots in the labour party advocating £15 an hour to solve all problems, where does the £15 an hour come from?

No idea Mel, it's a barmy idea. 

How does that make me sound? 

On topic, are you worth more than £10ph?

1 minute ago, Tony said:

No idea Mel, it's a barmy idea. 

How does that make me sound? 

On topic, are you worth more than £10ph?

ive no idea, its certainly more than minimum wage, its quite unskilled being customer service, not as skilled or in demand as the chef so.....

On pay, presumably you're eligible for Universal Credit in some form? Without telling you how to suck eggs, UC and other in work benefits are really the State subsidising your employer. Personally, I think that you should have the money instead of the state money laundering taxes and giving you a fraction of what's left over from the pound you should have if your employer gave it to you directly.

On conditions, presumably you're content with the situation? You don't seem terribly unhappy.

Interesting insight into the issues in the hospitality industry, its on the verge of imploding apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEwVp3cBK8

oh yeah, we were supposed to have another person for interview today....and again they never showed up

Edited by melthebell

10 hours ago, melthebell said:

Interesting insight into the issues in the hospitality industry, its on the verge of imploding apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEwVp3cBK8

oh yeah, we were supposed to have another person for interview today....and again they never showed up

Why is that though Mel? Options include;

Your firm offers unattractive pay?

Your firm offers unattractive conditions?

Your firm is in an isolated location with poor transport links?

The JobCentre sends them and they co ck off because they don't actually want a job?

With one in twenty put of work in the UK why do you think you can't attract them to your firm? You must have a clue.

Edited by Tony

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Why is that though Mel? Options include;

Your firm offers unattractive pay?

Your firm offers unattractive conditions?

Your firm is in an isolated location with poor transport links?

The JobCentre sends them and they co ck off because they don't actually want a job?

With one in twenty put of work in the UK why do you think you can't attract them to your firm? You must have a clue.

As the linked video states, it's not just us, it's industry wide, including decent paid companies.

I'm not a boss so don't know the ins and out's, my guess is they are purely applying to keep the dole off their back. With no intention of following through. With not enough applying to actually get to enough prospects to actually give a job to though, freedom of movement was filling the gap

Edited by melthebell

Hahaha, what a idiot came up with that 😆

"Go on, work for 3 months, then get back to your country, you bloody foreigner" ... Seems to me that someone is snorting too much icing sugar

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

As the linked video states, it's not just us, it's industry wide, including decent paid companies.

I'm not a boss so don't know the ins and out's, my guess is they are purely applying to keep the dole off their back. With no intention of following through. With not enough applying to actually get to enough prospects to actually give a job to though, freedom of movement was filling the gap

It's not a solution though. There are so many ways of looking at it, not least is that why should the UK get to import young people to do low-paid or dirty work at the expense of their home nation? The same goes for the other end of the scale where we're importing healthcare workers from nations who struggle with the most basic healthcare provision so our we can cut our waiting times for the luxury of (for example) cancer care and cosmetic surgery. 

Worst of all, we wail about how hard done by we are and how much more we deserve, and how we should steal even more skilled AND unskilled people from hard-pressed nations instead of seeing just how damned privileged we already are in the UK. 

Changing tack slightly, do you think that young people's expectations have changed in the last couple of generations? Did it all start going wrong in the 90's when Major turned polytechnics into universities and Blair proclaimed that half of school leavers should get a degree?