A Worker Is Not Just For Christmas.

Our caring Government is granting European workers temporary visas's to work in our Country , however these lorry drivers , farm labourers etc must leave at Christmas , Who the bloody hell do our leaders think they are , if these workers are good enough to get us out of the current labour crisis why should they be told to get out out when or if the situation has improved .

They are idiots trying to not blame their brexit, keep the anti immigration lot happy, and not seem like a Grinch at Christmas....somethings got to give

22 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Our caring Government is granting European workers temporary visas's to work in our Country , however these lorry drivers , farm labourers etc must leave at Christmas , Who the bloody hell do our leaders think they are , if these workers are good enough to get us out of the current labour crisis why should they be told to get out out when or if the situation has improved .

No need to get inflamed, it’s just an offer by the demand side in a capitalistic market.

Just sit back and observe whether that offer is taken up by the supply side, or not.

If it is not taken up much, then that will tell you how good or bad it was, and then the government can revise it accordingly.

The timing isn’t great though. I mean, as many ardent pro-government types are fond of reminding us all, the shortage of HGV drivers is not exclusive to the UK. So given equal pay/perk for a job offer, a 3 months temp contract with regulatory strings attached in  the UK versus a permanent contract with full equivalence under FoM  anywhere in the EU27…ain’t going to be a photo finish, I think 🤔 

have we not got folk capable of picking,sprouts,potatoes ect,ect,i would think it would be great to get away from home and enjoy the freedom,maybe go back in the summer,no where to spend my wages really,come back with some nice cash for christmas and talk about my experiance on the farm,may be hard work,but better than the dole.

4 minutes ago, bassett one said:

have we not got folk capable of picking,sprouts,potatoes ect

No, they are all busy doing the initial works for the new South Sheffield Bullet Train.

32 minutes ago, bassett one said:

have we not got folk capable of picking,sprouts,potatoes ect,ect,i would think it would be great to get away from home and enjoy the freedom,maybe go back in the summer,no where to spend my wages really,come back with some nice cash for christmas and talk about my experiance on the farm,may be hard work,but better than the dole.

Hmmm... :huh:

I think I've spotted the error in your post Mr Bassett... :roll:

The temporary visa plan assumes that there are thousands of ready-to-go qualified HGV / ADR drivers just waiting for the phone to ring so they can go abroad and live in a cab for six months. I can't believe that there will be many in government who think it is any better because it's a ridiculous plan that looks designed to be seen to be doing something rather than doing nothing.

The real villains here are the haulage industry who have failed to invest in people, pay and property for years and now have the cheek to manufacture a HGV driver crisis as if it's a new thing that they didn't expect. Much easier to ship in temporary foreign workers on minimum wages to **** in a pop bottle while driving / harvesting / whatever than invest in decent jobs and facilities.

For example, in 2010:

New figures have revealed 60 per cent of all road haulage companies are struggling to fill vacancies, while the top 100 biggest companies are suffering even more with 72 per cent having a severe shortage of drivers. Overall, transport and associated vacancies increased by 60 per cent on October last year from 54,460 to 87,422 this year. Vacancies for HGV drivers increased to 25,720, up from 11,041 in 2009, and from 17,344 in 2007

https://news.cision.com/bridge-pr/r/recruitment-agency-tackles-driver-shortage-head-on-through-training,c528883

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Seems reasonable enough to me.  If there is still work for them after the three months then the likelihood  is an extension or a further three  month work visa will be issued to competent EU workers.  One of the benefits of Brexit is we get to cherry pick which foreign workers we want.                                                       

The flipside is that foreign workers get to cherry pick which country they want to move to, and your ‘benefit’ assumes a supply of foreign workers willing to come to the UK.

Time will tell how valid that assumption is.

It certainly holds true for some, going by media reports about Channel crossings over the past couple of months. Not sure they’re the type of ‘EU’ workers you’re after, though…maybe give them a chance to show competence?

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

They are idiots trying to not blame their brexit, keep the anti immigration lot happy, and not seem like a Grinch at Christmas....somethings got to give

I agree.

What they should be doing, alongside allowing foreign drivers as long as they are needed, is fixing the DVLA chaos and subsidising HGV training.

Cherry pick?

Another myth blown out of the water.

Once upon a time British employers could offer the same terms and conditions to all. 

Who is going to be paying much higher tax rates to work in the UK for 90 days?

Who is going to be taking a pay cut to work in the UK for 90 days?

Who is going to be giving up their health, education, welfare and pension benefits to work in the UK for 90 days?

Who is going to be giving up employment protection rights, loyalty schemes, career progression to work in the UK for 90 days?

3 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Cherry pick?

Another myth blown out of the water.

Once upon a time British employers could offer the same terms and conditions to all. 

Who is going to be paying much higher tax rates to work in the UK for 90 days?

Who is going to be taking a pay cut to work in the UK for 90 days?

Who is going to be giving up their health, education, welfare and pension benefits to work in the UK for 90 days?

Who is going to be giving up employment protection rights, loyalty schemes, career progression to work in the UK for 90 days?

... and who is going to give up their dole money to work in the UK? :roll:

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... and who is going to give up their dole money to work in the UK? :roll:

apparently there isnt anybody? theres more vacancies than people applying lol