Darnall In The 70s And 80s

I am Martin Brennan and lived in he Industry Inn. My Mother and Father, Jean and Ken were the tenants. I remember Walt Palmer and Derek Lees. Ronnie Pointer and  George and Albert Hodgkins.I can't find any of them now. It would be great to find someone from that era. 

Hi! Martin, 

The Industry was one of my favourite Pubs. I used to go in mainly on passing and did not really know the  People that ran the Pub.

I first started going in the sixties as I loved a pint of Wards!

But moving abroad with work firstly to Germany and then Australia I used to call in on trips back over the years, I would say the last time I was in would be  a Sunday in April 1989. 

I think I have a photo I took outside somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post it on the site.

It was a really great little pub and very busy with colourful people. We would not have been there then as we went to the Scarborough Arms in Eckington. You have certainly seen the world fron humble Darnall. 

There were quite a few pubs and clubs in the area then but sadly those times and atmosphere have gone now. 

Things were so much simpler then. 

My dad Mick Slinn used to frequent it a lot when he worked for CD Steel... I used to sit outside on the wooden bench or if i was lucky be allowed to stand in the little corridor.

On 28/09/2021 at 17:45, Martin Brennan said:

It was a really great little pub and very busy with colourful people. We would not have been there then as we went to the Scarborough Arms in Eckington. You have certainly seen the world fron humble Darnall. 

There were quite a few pubs and clubs in the area then but sadly those times and atmosphere have gone now. 

Things were so much simpler then. 

An interesting  comment "Things were so much simpler then".

Well I don't agree I say life was so much better then.

Most people were employed, in Sheffield it was the steel industry, which was  my background.

Then the flood gates opened and masses of immigrants with chips on their shoulders  turned up and led by the example of American Lawyers to inspire them, along with Marxist social workers to give them ammunition.

I forget who said it, but  It became "A hand full of gimme and a mouthful of much obliged".

A parody of of the old adage, "If you can't beat them leave them behind".

Edited by CF8M