Bike To School Week 27 Sept -1 Oct 2021

Are you taking part in Bike to School Week this year?

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/campaigns/bike-to-school-week-pledge

Dame Sarah Storey is helping to make roads safer across Sheffield and its awful she was subjected to abuse by a car driver on the A57.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-58651321

With the problems created by fuel shortages, its worth doing the school run differently this week.

Edited by Findlay

I'm sorry, but this gives me all kinds of odd images, including 2 kids flapping in the air, hanging onto perents coat as he/she cycles at speed to try and get to school on time. 

Living near a junior school, I often see parents walking home carrying their kids bikes, then back again when the school day ends.  Schools don't have space or security to have these bikes on premises, so parents have to carry them, if they can.  The alternative?  Cars.  I really can't see an adult cyclist carrying another bike home and still being able to cycle safely.  Another odd image.

Thanks for the warning about Bike to School Week.  I'll keep a wary eye out on my travels for kids or bikes flying through the air!

lock the kids bikes to the school railings , this is the best idea I have seen since sliced bread , get those bloooooody daft car school run people of the roads they are a menace .

28 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I'm sorry, but this gives me all kinds of odd images, including 2 kids flapping in the air, hanging onto perents coat as he/she cycles at speed to try and get to school on time. 

Living near a junior school, I often see parents walking home carrying their kids bikes, then back again when the school day ends.  Schools don't have space or security to have these bikes on premises, so parents have to carry them, if they can.  The alternative?  Cars.  I really can't see an adult cyclist carrying another bike home and still being able to cycle safely.  Another odd image.

Thanks for the warning about Bike to School Week.  I'll keep a wary eye out on my travels for kids or bikes flying through the air!

High Storrs has plenty of cycle racks, not sure about any others. Any new build or refurbished school should have cycle racks, space permitting, but I'm sure plenty that could have racks don't.

I can't see it happening.  The 4 x 4 drivers won't want to have to walk and look after the kids on bikes, half a mile is far too much effort for most of them. 

the school near us is a nightmare , they drive like maniacs to get the little darling as near to the school gate as possible , yellow  lines no problem , no drop off point no problem , , some times the car engine is left running for up to half an hour while the mams (usually the mams) text away on the phone to god knows who in god knows where , that is its self a traffic violation , cops non ever, traffic wardens all down Town near the depot .  then 40 and fifty miles an hour get away in suburban roads .

Do any of you live on planet Earth? Bike To School week will quite simply become "Have Your Bike Stolen Week" 

Nice idea in theory. Chaotic and stupid in practice. 

Hmmm... :huh:

Absolutely shocking idea!

Doesn't this discriminate against those kids who can't take part because their families are too poor to afford to buy them a bike?

I would've thought that some of the more enlightened posters on here might have picked up on that by now, but I suppose it's not in keeping with their pro-cycling agenda... :roll:

Glad I've seen this post.

I'll leave early to miss all the little darlings wobbling all over the roads and holding up traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against cycling but it'd be a right bugger with a tool bag and a set of ladders.

Yes, great idea to leave 5 minutes early, its amazing how much better you feel driving with that extra gap. Sometimes, when I used to drive to work,  I ended up being 10 minutes early when I arrived.

Great to See Meersbrook Bank school taking up the challenge with over 30 youngsters cycling to school for a Dr Bike safety check. 

Giving kids the ability to be independent gives them the best start in life to build confidence along with memorable adventures with friends that stay forever.

Schemes like Bikability, provided by Cycle North, take bikes into schools so they can be confident on the school playground and then on the road if deemed competent.

Edited by Findlay
typo

Well done to all those who took part in the Bike to School week. hope fully see more of this over the coming months

On 27/09/2021 at 15:18, cuttsie said:

the school near us is a nightmare , they drive like maniacs to get the little darling as near to the school gate as possible , yellow  lines no problem , no drop off point no problem , , some times the car engine is left running for up to half an hour while the mams (usually the mams) text away on the phone to god knows who in god knows where , that is its self a traffic violation , cops non ever, traffic wardens all down Town near the depot .  then 40 and fifty miles an hour get away in suburban roads .

You'd do well to mind your own business.