Keir Starmer And Angela Rayner Are Scum, Are You?

56 minutes ago, sibon said:

I would have thought that you’d be able to do basic maths.

At the last general election, the largest proportion of the vote was for parties other than the Conservatives.

If we were debating how a democracy works, you could do that.

At the moment, we are discussing Key Stage 3 maths.

If you wish to imply that education is required, permit me to assist you with a definition:   'Proportion -  a part, share, or number considered in comparative relation to a whole'.

I will explain that for you, in the context of the election results being discussed:

Each party won a proportion of the vote.  The party with the largest of those proportions was the Conservative Party, and the fact that adding up all the other separate proportions produces a larger figure is, at best, irrelevant.

Are we learning?

Edited by Caswall

47 minutes ago, Mister M said:

How has he used his education?

Reading and writing I expect, and simply not having the excruciating dialect and limited vocabulary of the uneducated Rayner would be another good example. 

Rayner, for all her passion and misguided determination, exemplifies the need  for an educated class (academically and culturally) to run the nation.

Guest sibon
21 minutes ago, Caswall said:

If you wish to imply that education is required, permit me to assist you with a definition:   'Proportion -  a part, share, or number considered in comparative relation to a whole'.

I will explain that for you, in the context of the election results being discussed:

Each party won a proportion of the vote.  The party with the largest of those proportions was the Conservative Party, and the fact that adding up all the other separate proportions produces a larger figure is, at best, irrelevant.

Are we learning?

But you said that “the largest proportion of U.K. voters are Conservatives”.

That isn’t true. The largest proportion of U.K. voters are not Conservatives.

Can you see your conceptual error yet?

Angela Rayner was quite correct to call the Tories scum.

However, where she made a mistake was in attempting to explain her comments.

She should not have apologised, and she should not have explained.

In fact, she should have doubled down on her original comment and called them Evil Tory scum.

19 minutes ago, sibon said:

But you said that “the largest proportion of U.K. voters are Conservatives”.

That isn’t true. The largest proportion of U.K. voters are not Conservatives.

Can you see your conceptual error yet?

The majority may not be Conservatives, but of the various proportions that voted for a party - the Conservative proportion was the largest.  You are confusing 'largest proportion' with 'majority', and perpetuating a pointless argument here.

55 minutes ago, Caswall said:

In this case, that largest proportion of the vote was 14 million.

With an adult population of 50 million, its rather poor.

Just now, Caswall said:

The majority may not be Conservatives, but of the various proportions that voted for a party - the Conservative proportion was the largest.  You are confusing 'largest proportion' with 'majority', and perpetuating a pointless argument here.

Here’s my two penn’orth.

altus: “They might have got more votes than anyone else but most people who voted in the last election voted for a party other than the Conservatives.”

(Which party was that?)
Verdict: Not true 

Sibon: “At the last general election, the largest proportion of the vote was for parties other than the Conservatives.”

Verdict: True

Guest sibon
8 minutes ago, Caswall said:

I’m not.

You might be.

Guest sibon
Just now, West 77 said:

Name me a country with as many major political parties as the UK where the largest party which forms a government got a higher percentage of the vote than the Tories got in December 2019.

Russia

38 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Angela Rayner was quite correct to call the Tories scum.

However, where she made a mistake was in attempting to explain her comments.

She should not have apologised, and she should not have explained.

In fact, she should have doubled down on her original comment and called them Evil Tory scum.

There's a very apt quote from Roger Scruton on your stance:  “Left-wing people find it very hard to get on with right-wing people, because they believe that they are evil.  Whereas I have no problem getting on with left-wing people, because I simply believe that they are mistaken”.

I’ve never understood the need the left-minded  have to hate others as they do, or to use words like 'evil' and 'scum' in reference to people who simply hold differing (but no less valid, and in fact more widely-held) political views. 

Edited by Caswall

18 minutes ago, sibon said:

I’m not.

You might be.

Ok, one last attempt to drum in some sense.

The Conservative proportion was 14 million.  The next largest proportion - for Labour - was about 10 million.  The third largest for the Lib Dems was about 4 million.

Which of those proportions - or you can call them fractions, or chunks, or bits - was the largest?

Here's a clue - the Conservative one!

Edited by Caswall

19 hours ago, sibon said:

Yes, but one of those words is “picanninies”.

Personally, I find the word “scum” less offensive. But I’m happy to be corrected by the right wing misdirectionists.

Slightly ironic post