Is it wrong to dislike the behaviour of a whole population?

I hate Chinese.(I hate their behaviour!)

Should I change my mind>?

Change my idea?

But I really can't accept their behaviour...

:confused::help:

Ive Got the answer ! Thx..I 'll change my mind ....!

THX all of you ....you're very nice;) ..

What a bizarre thread - trolling I presume.

Racist and irrational (and stupid). How can you deem millions of people to act in the same way?

What a bizarre thread - trolling I presume.

Racist and irrational (and stupid). How can you deem millions of people to act in the same way?

But don't you think my idea is wrong , DO YOU?

Yes, you probably should change your mind. It's rather simplistic to generalise about an entire population of people based on the actions and behaviour of the members of that population you might have had a less than ideal experience with.

If you're speaking about the actions of the various official Chinese bodies that purport to speak for the entire population, then you should remember that they don't speak for everyone.

What you're saying is akin to saying 'I hate black people' or 'I hate [insert name of the massive population in question]'. It's a huge, silly and offensive generalization.

You should think about individuals, not entire groups.

I hate Chinese.(I hate their behaviour!)

Should I change my mind>?

Change my idea?

But I really can't accept their behaviour...

:confused::help:

What behaviour? There are, in a poulation of many many millions bound to be some whose behaviour is not to your liking - and equally likely to be many who are thoroughly lovely and agreeable people.

You do yourself a great disservice if you fail to see the error in your thinking. Instead of saying 'I hate Chinese' try 'There are some Chinese people I whose behaviour I don't like' - and go and look for some Chinese people who you do like.

Forgive me, 'Nancy', but are you not ethnically Chinese?

Forgive me, 'Nancy', but are you not ethnically Chinese?

*checks her email*

looks like a chinese name

Well if you disagree with a populations ways & ideas perhaps because they are different from yours, does that really make you racist?

Not that I feel that way but an interesting question.

For example perhaps you disagree with their religion or the way they treat women, so you feel you have nothing in common with them, surely that can't make you racist.

On the other hand not the whole of a nation thinks & does the same & we all have faults that other nations don't like.

I am arguing with myself now!!!

prolly taiwanese

Possible.

I guess she may answer later, but she says that she lives in Hong Kong.

'..debz' has a point.

Is it racist for a white Brit to hate the French?

Misguided. Nationalistic. Spot On. But not racist, surely?

Believing that you can group the behaviour of millions of people by what nationality they are is probably what is wrong, or at least misguided.

This discussion is the absolute heart of a topic that needs national attention. Racism is a word that is bandied around so easily to represent all kinds of attitudes, wrong or right.

Certain things are unequivocably wrong, such as judging an individual based upon a stereotype of their apparant heritage, colour or race as well as all forms of violent action based on such a thing.

However, every different so called 'race' of people live within their own culture. And there is not necessarily anything wrong with disliking aspects of a given culture, purely because it's about living your life differently. This can also involve different languages which involve thinking in different ways and expressing yourself differently. I have a friend of Israeli origin who has expressed the feeling that when speaking in his native tongue he can feel himself being more agressive than when speaking in English because of the way the language is structured and the most popular phrases built therein.

The whole point of this being that disliking a culture or aspects of it is not the same as the unequivocably wrong issue of racism. But the problem is that racism is such a hot topic and such a popular word that idiotic puritans all over will jump at any chance to identify what they consider to be racism and jump all over the 'offender'.

Now, because this difference is not acknowledged and there is no way to identify which aspect of things you are talking about, it is not really possible to talk about cultural disklike without being branded a racist, and so no-one does.

My point is that, although nancyhoxi's views may be in the class of officially 'racist' opinions, they may very well instead be simply an expression of dislike of cultural attitudes. Now, the right to express an opinion, whatever it is, I feel is absolutely sacred, but without a better vocabulary than one single word.. where are we? Nowhere!