Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Like the one reported regarding Nike (and another firm I can't remember off the top) in the USA??

Haven't seen that one. The global chip is well publisicised and building products are also - to the best of my knowledge - not brexit specific.

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Haven't seen that one. The global chip is well publisicised and building products are also - to the best of my knowledge - not brexit specific.

Sorry - that was in an article I found on the BBC news website Business section a couple of weeks back.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry - that was in an article I found on the BBC news website Business section a couple of weeks back.

I'll have a look.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

FFS - I said who lied most - I'll get a long list of proven Boris lies that you won't you read. I'm not wasting my time. 

I'll answer your question. Boris is a versatile liar who does it with some frequency. It distinguishes him from other "normal" politicians who may from time to time on an occasional basis slip into lies. Boris lies far more than Thatcher or May ever did.

I do not know why so many people apparently do not know what a lie is. I do not know why Boris's lying cannot be properly called out by the media for the outrage that it is.

16 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

I'll answer your question. Boris is a versatile liar who does it with some frequency. It distinguishes him from other "normal" politicians who may from time to time on an occasional basis slip into lies. Boris lies far more than Thatcher or May ever did.

I do not know why so many people apparently do not know what a lie is. I do not know why Boris's lying cannot be properly called out by the media for the outrage that it is.

The Government’s switch to greener petrol last month was a “major factor” behind the fuel crisis that saw forecourts across the country run dry, industry chiefs have revealed.

Tall tale?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-government-switch-greener-fuel-124545377.html

ALSO: if E10 petrol is 'better' than E5, and as all cars in Brazil run on what's effectively E100 (= ethanol only, produced from sugar cane), why cannot UK cars change over to use that E100 and not be compulsorily electricised? Then no shortage

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Government’s switch to greener petrol last month was a “major factor” behind the fuel crisis that saw forecourts across the country run dry, industry chiefs have revealed.

Tall tale?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-government-switch-greener-fuel-124545377.html

Interesting link. I have no idea how to work out whether it was a "major factor" or not.

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

ALSO: if E10 petrol is 'better' than E5, and as all cars in Brazil run on what's effectively E100 (= ethanol only, produced from sugar cane), why cannot UK cars change over to use that E100 and not be compulsorily electricised? Then no shortage

Work out how much land would be needed to produce the amount of crops required to replace petrol and diesel with bio-fuels. That will probably give you the answer.

Guest sibon
47 minutes ago, altus said:

Work out how much land would be needed to produce the amount of crops required to replace petrol and diesel with bio-fuels. That will probably give you the answer.

It would solve the vegetable picking and food transportation problems, at a stroke.

Rather than planting the ethanol crops in the UK, might it not be cheaper just to import ethanol from Brazil?

My question turned on the merits of E100 fuel as such, not on its agricultural demands/consequences!

Great story today about someone who took out a 50L drum from their boot, filled it with petrol, then couldn't lift it back into his car.

People waiting wouldn't help, so he went back into the shop to ask for a refund!

On 10/10/2021 at 16:43, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Rather than planting the ethanol crops in the UK, might it not be cheaper just to import ethanol from Brazil?

My question turned on the merits of E100 fuel as such, not on its agricultural demands/consequences!

The whole world is moving away from fossil fuels. If it was going to be cheaper to import ethanol from somewhere else, everybody would do it and so lead to production/supply problems (and an inevitable cost increase). You can't divorce production issues from whether E100 is a suitable replacement for petrochemicals.