Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

35 minutes ago, L00b said:

Fuel HGV drivers of company delivering for BP to vote on strike action this week

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-27/u-k-truck-company-that-works-for-bp-could-face-strike-action

It’s only Tuesday and I’m out of popcorn already! 😂

Hmmm... :huh:

I didn't realise there was a shortage of popcorn in the EU!

I'd better nip off to Aldi a bit sharpish... :hihi:

14 hours ago, Delbow said:

Reminds me of the time a mate texted me to say "Took me 4 hours to get out of Leeds"

I used to have a Sherpa mini bus :suspect::lol:8)

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Fuel HGV drivers of company delivering for BP to vote on strike action this week

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-27/u-k-truck-company-that-works-for-bp-could-face-strike-action

It’s only Tuesday and I’m out of popcorn already! 😂

Smart move by Unite. After all, if forecourts can hike prices due to the shortage (see tinfoilhat's £1.64 per litre yesterday) then workers should be able to take advantage of the same market conditions.

24 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Smart move by Unite. After all, if forecourts can hike prices due to the shortage (see tinfoilhat's £1.64 per litre yesterday) then workers should be able to take advantage of the same market conditions.

10 drivers - at one firm.

24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

<snip>

A selfish move by Unite or anyone else threatening to go on strike.

Like the selfish move by the Snowdrop Campaign after Dunblane?

The best time to get action on an issue is when it's at the top of people's agenda.

26 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Forecourts have had extra costs in employing stewards to marshal the panic buyers and anti Brexit mob causing problems at petrol stations. 

Also the profit margin is very low on petrol and the sites are most likely losing money because people who buy other things in their shops will be staying away due to the queues and traffic jams.  

"Anti-Brexit mob causing problems at petrol stations" LOL.

One of the main criticisms of the freedom of movement by those who opposed it was that it was supposedly suppressing the wages of good old British workers. Now that you've ended that and there's a labour shortage, British workers want their pay to increase. Bizarre that people are complaining about it when it's what they voted for.

24 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

10 drivers - at one firm.

Drivers at other haulage firms (Hanson is one) are also preparing to strike for better pay.

Drove past two stations today, one of them has had no fuel since Sunday night, the other which did have fuel yesterday morning now has a yellow handle on the pumps and the big digital display turned off.

Nothing is going to get better if its taking this long to replenish the empty sites.

Just seen a report on the BBC, a couple of drivers were both saying they blamed the media for current chaos at the pumps, they're not wrong!

43 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Forecourts have had extra costs in employing stewards to marshal the panic buyers and anti Brexit mob causing problems at petrol stations. 

Also the profit margin is very low on petrol and the sites are most likely losing money because people who buy other things in their shops will be staying away due to the queues and traffic jams.  

trust the leftie unions to make matters worse, now where did that happen before???......oh yes the miners and the steelworkers, didnt end well did it??

I dont drive but just walked past our local garage (a small independent) with the dog, looks like its normal, was just two cars there filling up, its nowhere near a motorway either