Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

3 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Fascinating things is, who is doing all this panic buying?

I am not convinced that there is much panic buying. What is the evidence for it? A few media pictures of people filling more jerrycans than it would seem feasible for them to need. Does that really prove anything? It is certainly not a measured view of the situation which would require data that the media does not have (and would have no interest in collecting). Sure there are a few numpties about but I think the bulk of the population's petrol storage consists of petrol tanks and a few jerrycans won't add much to that.

We live in a just-in-time world. Retailers anticipate how much stock they need on hand and don't have huge stores as a buffer against changes in demand. They choose instead to rely on being able to get rapid resupply and mostly that works. Demand changed with news of shortages and continued to change as queues were observed. In essence the population decided that it "needed" more petrol in the tank because of the "shortage". I suspect if you ask the people who have topped off their tanks then pretty much to a man or woman they will have a perfectly plausible excuse and in all likelihood most will blame 'panic buyers' for the change in demand that they themselves have helped fashion.

Edited by Carbuncle

Had a chat with a friend today who works in a petrol station in Sheffield (wont say which one, but its one that currently has all fuel pumps closed).

Tells me they get a weekly delivery on a Saturday evening which is usually enough to last until the next one the next Saturday evening.

The delivery they received Saturday night has sold out by the same time on Sunday,

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I didn't want to stay in stoke so I paid up. The irony is that the pockets of traffic thats held me up  has been people queuing for fuel at petrol stations without any petrol.

If the options were stay in Stoke or pay up, I'm surprised they weren't charging more than £1.64 per litre 😏

We drove down from the lakes earlier today and most stations had petrol but diesel wasn’t available in many of them.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

If the options were stay in Stoke or pay up, I'm surprised they weren't charging more than £1.64 per litre 😏

On reflection it was a wise investment. Anyhow, stuff delivered, working from home for the rest of the week. For those who have big fuel tanks or EVs, enjoy yourself. The Mways were much quieter than normal.

25 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

On reflection it was a wise investment. Anyhow, stuff delivered, working from home for the rest of the week. For those who have big fuel tanks or EVs, enjoy yourself. The Mways were much quieter than normal.

Reminds me of the time a mate texted me to say "Took me 4 hours to get out of Leeds because of the snow. Obviously worth it"

I managed to get the van fuelled up this morning.

Pity I had to cancel my days work due to the weather.

Back on it tomorrow.

That car is currently showing 40 mile range so that's my next task but not many stations stocking super unleaded 😞

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

We drove down from the lakes earlier today and most stations had petrol but diesel wasn’t available in many of them.

a rush on vegitable oil next then😁 

3 hours ago, dan2802 said:

I managed to get the van fuelled up this morning.

Pity I had to cancel my days work due to the weather.

Back on it tomorrow.

That car is currently showing 40 mile range so that's my next task but not many stations stocking super unleaded 😞

Esso garage on price of wales road garage had some in earlier as I got some top grade diesel but there is a £30 fill limit.

Back in 2006 when I was doing my HGV test I was told by one of the trainers that there would be a driver shortage as most HGV drivers would be approaching retirement and that not many people were interested in becoming HGV drivers and that was before Brexit was even thought about.

Edited by mafya

44 minutes ago, mafya said:

Esso garage on price of wales road garage had some in earlier as I got some top grade diesel but there is a £30 fill limit.

Back in 2006 when I was doing my HGV test I was told by one of the trainers that there would be a driver shortage as most HGV drivers would be approaching retirement and that not many people were interested in becoming HGV drivers and that was before Brexit was even thought about.

There is a massive shortage in this country of car mechanics and MOT testers, yet I bet you still manage to get your car fixed, serviced and tested. Brexit consequence denier alert much. :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

There is a massive shortage in this country of car mechanics and MOT testers, yet I bet you still manage to get your car fixed, serviced and tested. Brexit consequence denier alert much. :rolleyes:

I actually hold an HGV licence from 2006 and back then the trainer told us there would be a driver shortage as many would be retiring and not be replaced by new ones as the industry was not attracting new drivers plus extra pointless regulations ie 35 hrs of doc driver hours every 5 years without any exam and you could do the same 7 hour module 5 times.

I’m not a denier I’m actually someone who gave up the job as the wages were crap. My licence is still valid as I keep it renewed but I have not done the 35 hours and there are any others like me. Also read this=  https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article
and then you will realise that Brexit isn’t solely to blame.

Its about time our Govt started training more people up to fill these jobs instead of relying on imported labour and it’s not just HGV drivers it’s in all industries/professions.

37 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I also did mechanics at Castle college  and I’m also a city & guilds qualified motorcycle mechanic so if ever you can’t get a mechanic give me a shout but I don’t accept peanuts as payment!

The only time I ever panic buy, is when the barman shouts "LAST ORDERS"