Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

On 25/09/2021 at 17:49, The_DADDY said:

Yeah. Brexit did it 🙄

like I mentioned in a previous thread,  after Brexit Foreign drivers going back to their respective countries and the demon covid causing  all HGV driving courses to be cancelled which would have steadily stopped  the massive lack of drivers we have at the moment.  I just hope the standards of the courses don't suffer by by the haste of getting more drivers on the roads, that spells danger. 

27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Did the petrol retailers association run the story themselves? No, the media gobbled it up and here we are.

I heard it on the radio first on thursday if memory serves. Friday morning it was panic across the front pages. And now here we are.

Its like someone  striking a match in a busy department store and some clown shouting fire fire and causing a stampede. :hihi:

Guest sibon
49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The truth is there was no panic buying until the News created the problem last Thursday night when they showed a bloke filling two big jerry cans up with petrol.  

I don’t know why you are objecting. 

Causing panic buying of petrol was recently Tory party policy.

Its a good thing, according to them. It keeps those over privileged  tanker drivers in their place.

Guest makapaka

People need to start using their brain and not relying on media to inform every decision they take.

if you didn’t need petrol this weekend but went and bought some anyway - you’ve contributed to the problem.

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not objecting to anything.  I'm just reporting the real true facts and not writing nonsense like you do.   It's a fact there is a shortage of lorry drivers caused mainly by not enough new lorry drivers replacing lorry drivers who have either retired or found alternative employment.  The current problem has been caused over many years because a career as a lorry driver hasn't been an attractive prospect for numerous reasons.  The average age of a UK lorry driver is around 55 years old which is obviously too high.  Brexit has not stopped EU people who were working in the UK from continually to work in the UK.  However the pandemic which started in the spring of last year resulted in many EU workers going back to their home countries and many haven't returned to the UK.

Exactly correct.

That’s a lot of words, but not really relevant to the point I made. 

It isn’t long ago that the Tory party were deliberately causing panic buying of fuel to avert a tanker driver strike. The strike was for better pay and conditions. 

So let’s have no Tory crocodile tears. The only time they want better conditions for workers is when it threatens their poll ratings.

Wasn’t sure whether to post this in here or the consequences thread.

Some interesting insights all the same:

With the main take-away, that the polled electorate appears to have a pretty balanced / objective take on the issue of HGV drivers shortage, all things considered.

Edited by L00b

The people panic buying petrol are probably the ones who still have lots of loo roll from last year.  When McDonalds announced they were closing last year there were massive queues for the drive through and  again when they reopened.  People are just selfish, it all me me me. I wonder how many of those jerry cans that people have been filling will be left in a garage and forgotten about.

16 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

People are just selfish, it all me me me. I wonder how many of those jerry cans that people have been filling will be left in a garage and forgotten about.

How many later go on to burn the house down when they've not been properly stored or the idiot didn't use a proper container.

Saw on social media this weekend that someone's car had already gone up in flames, 4 full jerry cans in the boot.

I went through town this morning and they were selling fuel at the St. Marys gate petrol station and the one at Gleadless town end. So things could be getting better.

Fascinating things is, who is doing all this panic buying?

It's like the loo rolls thing all over again. Even my old Mum who keeps 6 months of canned and packet goods in her pantry in case of the apocalypse hasn't rushed out to get petrol.

--> YES --> Buy some petrol
Do I need petrol? --
                     --> NO --> Don't buy any petrol

9 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Fascinating things is, who is doing all this panic buying?

It's like the loo rolls thing all over again. Even my old Mum who keeps 6 months of canned and packet goods in her pantry in case of the apocalypse hasn't rushed out to get petrol.

--> YES --> Buy some petrol
Do I need petrol? --
                     --> NO --> Don't buy any petrol

I didn't want to stay in stoke so I paid up. The irony is that the pockets of traffic thats held me up  has been people queuing for fuel at petrol stations without any petrol.

Went all  the way down Abbeydale Road today, still queuing but nothing like what it had been, three vehicles shunt at the bottom of Dore Road, traffic completely solid to Abbey Lane, hope nobody was hurt.