Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

Do you have a link, or maybe more ‘starting’ info so I know what I’m looking for?

I just Googled “France panic buying” and “achats panique” and…nada.

Which also correlates with my personal experience over the weekend: no queues anywhere, no reports of any panic buying of anything in the main TV news (TF1, France 2, regional on France 3…) or in newspapers?

3 minutes ago, crookesey said:

France for a start, try googling yesterday’s BBC News.

I've just done exactly that, nothing came up, apart from a 5 year article. Can you post a link?

53 minutes ago, rogets said:

Neighbour has filled up 8 Jerry cans and luckily for her,  she used the last of the fuel at the local petrol station so no fuel left for the 50 cars behind her queing up. 

She said sorry to the bloke behind her in the queue, and he responded by telling her to F off and called her a derogatory  name 

This is disgusting, why do men think it is right to swear at women and call them names? 

Society is getting worse, no respect, no manners, bad language 

And as she said, he probably had a little man sausage 

They both sound like ******s tbh 

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, L00b said:

Do you have a link, or maybe more ‘starting’ info so I know what I’m looking for?

I just Googled “France panic buying” and “achats panique” and…nada.

Which also correlates with my personal experience over the weekend: no queues anywhere, no reports of any panic buying of anything in the main TV news (TF1, France 2, regional on France 3…) or in newspapers?

Eye witness account from the Parisian wing of my family. M and S in La Defense experiencing shortages.

Everything else normal. 

Make of that what you will

14 minutes ago, sibon said:

Eye witness account from the Parisian wing of my family. M and S in La Defense experiencing shortages.

Everything else normal. 

Make of that what you will

M&S stores across the EU27 have been experiencing shortages since January, for perfectly logi(sti)cal reasons. To the point, that they are getting shut down by year end.

But I cannot accept that shelves bare of M&S sarnies could induce any degree of panicking amongst the white-collared La Défense cadres sups: they’re not really short of local alternatives 😉

Back to that alleged panic buying in EU countries, then….or petrol delivery issues. Or the UK’s generous offer to the job-stealing and unwanted EU27 HGV drivers, to allow them back in to come drive HGVs in the UK, but only until Xmas Eve.

I understand Radio4 was rather entertaining about that last one, moments ago?

"European truck drivers are not going to come and help you get out of the **** you created for yourselves" says Dutch truck drivers union boss.

Gotta love the Dutch’s no-nonsense straight-talking 😂

Edited by L00b

16 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I've just done exactly that, nothing came up, apart from a 5 year article. Can you post a link?

Je ne peux pas trouver quelque chose aussi

20 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

It’s the BBC  News website, Jonty Bloom Reports

Sorry didn’t notice the date.

Edited by crookesey
**** up

So if there are not the same problems in other European countries, the cause can't solely be Covid. So, what is different about the UK that means it is happening here?

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

So if there are not the same problems in other European countries, the cause can't solely be Covid. So, what is different about the UK that means it is happening here?

A significantly worse driver shortage than elsewhere in Europe (including NI), a generalised loss of trust and confidence in the government’s capacity to risk-plan and manage, and 5+ years’ worth of sustained gaslighting dividing and aggravating people.

That lady who was filling 8 jerry cans yesterday? I bet she still has stacks of loo rolls from the first lockdown 😉

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A petrol retailers association spokesman told Sky News this morning that a whistle blower who leaked a confidential BP report for the government to the media has caused the panic petrol buying.  Nothing to do with Brexit.

The petrol association spokesman is lying, the RHA has been highlighting this problem for at least 5 years.

That said, if it is all bull****, why didn't the media fact check it? They all fell over themselves to publish the story.

Edited by tinfoilhat

BBC Breakfast read out a message from a viewer saying they (the BBC) had created this issue....quickly read out and then they moved on with no discussion...surprised they even acknowledged it tbh.

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

The truth is there was no panic buying until the News created the problem last Thursday night when they showed a bloke filling two big jerry cans up with petrol.  

Did the petrol retailers association run the story themselves? No, the media gobbled it up and here we are.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

BBC Breakfast read out a message from a viewer saying they (the BBC) had created this issue....quickly read out and then they moved on with no discussion...surprised they even acknowledged it tbh.

I heard it on the radio first on thursday if memory serves. Friday morning it was panic across the front pages. And now here we are.