Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

3 minutes ago, rogets said:

Anyway, eventually we did fill up the car and 4 Jerry cans so we will be fine for a while 

Neighbour on the other hand went to the same petrol station 45 minutes later and they had ran out of fuel.  Poor bloke can't get to work tomorrow 

That's the spirit.

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

In other contexts that might be called prudence but if everybody suddenly does it all at once we get queues and shortages.

You called it prudent to get fuel earlier in the thread.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

You are kidding yeah?

He's a well known troll.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

You are kidding yeah?

No 

We had to wait ages for the petrol 

Selfish morons out in force 

Just now, makapaka said:

You called it prudent to get fuel earlier in the thread.

I did. I do not agree with the general condemnation of the behaviour as "panic buying".

I don't think it is reasonable to ask individuals to solve the problem, one needs the government/ fuel companies to act in the common interest.

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Yep - if you didn’t need fuel this weekend - and you went and got some anyway - you’ve contributed to the problem. 

Exactly, Car tells me what's in't tank.

No journeys planned.

Why would any sane person go and sit & use their petrol waiting in a cue for 40mins?

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

Shortage of Turkeys now folks...

Hmmm... :huh:

There's plenty queueing for petrol they don't need! :roll:

7 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

It is widely documented but not necessarily true. I am sceptical of the whole long term 'shortage' of HGV drivers story because there does not seem to be any sign of a long term shortage of HGV driving, ie goods were turning up pre-Brexit/Pandemic. I am sceptical of the Europe-wide 'shortage' of lorry drivers because, at least as far as I checked, I could not find any news stories from the EU of food missing from shelves or petrol stations running short. Perhaps you could point me at stories of EU (delivery) shortages or else explain why out of the EU27 + UK it is only the UK where deliveries are a problem.

What is it about the documentation or their sources that make you believe it's not true?

You need to be looking into it a bit more. The British International Freight Association were reporting on truck driver shortages across the whole of Europe as early as 2018.  Reuters have been regular reporting about out delivery backlogs, surges in demand and other problems causing short supply on a range of goods affecting the USA and mainland Europe as well as the  UK. Bloomberg has reported on shipping issues with fierce bidding wars to find limited places for containers which is affecting the delivery and chain of raw materials which manufacturers need to make their own goods.

It is not some black and white problem and certainly not something the hot air blowers, opinionators and politicos can be fobbing off as simply a brexit issue.

In any event, none of which is regard the topic at hand which is this hysteria self made crisis on fuel. 

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

You need to be looking into it a bit more. The British International Freight Association were reporting on truck driver shortages across the whole of Europe as early as 2018. 

I am aware of this. I am a sceptic. The type of thing that has been reported are large numbers of vacancies. Eg 50 000 HGV driver vacancies in 2015 as measured by the UK's RHA. Given the UK industry has about 250 000 drivers (I think) this certainly suggests something dysfunctional is going on but vacancies can also be caused by high turnover.

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Reuters have been regular reporting about out delivery backlogs, surges in demand and other problems causing short supply on a range of goods affecting the USA and mainland Europe as well as the  UK. Bloomberg has reported on shipping issues with fierce bidding wars to find limited places for containers which is affecting the delivery and chain of raw materials which manufacturers need to make their own goods.

Perhaps you could supply a link or two. As I said I did not find any stories from Europe indicating missing food items in shops or missing petrol.

18 minutes ago, Padders said:

There's an idea Padders. 

Fancy having a run to Farmfoods in't morning buy all their Black Pudding then announce the shortage of the stuff on social media.

Mark it up at triple the cost make ourselves a handsome profit 🧐

I'm game (could be the underpants)

Edited by Rockers rule
-

28 minutes ago, Padders said:

There are still as many Turkeys knockin about,  its just that they have been  been given a reprieve till next year, :clap:

41 minutes ago, Longcol said:

He's a well known troll.

Must be me, but I think he brings some light hearted humour to the thread.