Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

Yes you can’t shift around the petrol station on Archer road. Biddies clogging the road up trying to top up. Move your vehicle on you idiots and return later!

Guest makapaka
34 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Who is it that is being daft?

A shortage is reported. People decide they do not want to run low so they are a little more prudent than normal and fill up when they have a third of a tank where they might normally wait until they get down to a sixth of a tank. They also avoid procrastinating and do it immediately. Suddenly demand for petrol has doubled or tripled and we see queues and petrol stations without petrol. Out comes the term 'panic buyer' but really it is just people being prudent.

It could prevent people with a current need for petrol getting it. 

ie it sits in the tank of someone’s car parked on the drive rather than being used by someone who can’t work without petrol. 

for example.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It could prevent people with a current need for petrol getting it. 

ie it sits in the tank of someone’s car parked on the drive rather than being used by someone who can’t work without petrol. 

for example.

Oh, there is definitely a problem. I just don't think that it is a question of people being daft/ selfish although there may be a few who act badly.

If you want to solve the problem through individual action then you need people to choose to act against their own best interests by letting their tanks run lower than usual and to do less driving then they had intended until the issue is resolved. That would only work if everybody expected everybody else to behave well which seems unreasonably optimistic especially when the media will report any problems, widespread or not, as panic buying.

6 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Oh, there is definitely a problem. I just don't think that it is a question of people being daft/ selfish although there may be a few who act badly.

If you want to solve the problem through individual action then you need people to choose to act against their own best interests by letting their tanks run lower than usual and to do less driving then they had intended until the issue is resolved. That would only work if everybody expected everybody else to behave well which seems unreasonably optimistic especially when the media will report any problems, widespread or not, as panic buying.

Unfortunately the lesson from the toilet roll crisis was that if you behave sensibly, others will buy the lot and you will do without.

Have heard stories of people filling up (12!) jerry cans. That needs to be banned immediately. 

Minimum spend would help as many are putting 10 pounds in. Make minimum spend of £40. Then you have to use up existing stocks before refilling.

If it doesn't calm down police will be needed to prioritise key workers who need petrol.

There’s plenty of motor fuel with a shortage of tanker drivers making it difficult to supply the pumps. If they don’t accept the pay levels it’s over to you fuel suppliers, or more to the point, less fuel suppliers.

2 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Unfortunately the lesson from the toilet roll crisis was that if you behave sensibly, others will buy the lot and you will do without.

Have heard stories of people filling up (12!) jerry cans. That needs to be banned immediately. 

Minimum spend would help as many are putting 10 pounds in. Make minimum spend of £40. Then you have to use up existing stocks before refilling.

If it doesn't calm down police will be needed to prioritise key workers who need petrol.

The bog roll episode was disgusting. My neighbour, an elderly person was man handled by some arrogant oink who felt it appropriate to take the toilet roll my neighbour had in his trolly then just barged past him. 

He got home and was heartbroken as it made him feel unsafe so he didn't do his shopping. 

50 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Is anything else happening today, other than the ‘panic buying’ of motor fuel? 

I'm making a Curry. :thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ryder Cup started a couple of hours back.

Up in 1 down in 2.

17 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

(…)

If you want to solve the problem through individual action then you need people to choose to act against their own best interests by letting their tanks run lower than usual and to do less driving then they had intended until the issue is resolved. (…)

I started taking the bus at Easter 2021, every weekday or nearly so.

To say I’d not taken any form of public transport in donkeys’ years, it’s been a revelation. Free, clean, on time, just about anytime with sitting room. Means someone else gets the aggro and blood pressure up with the tailbacks and bad driving, whilst I can just put my feet up and work or browse til I get there. That must have saved me around 7k to 9k Kms on the old odometer, never mind in the pocket with high-20/Lo-30 mpg.

Not stopped since, nor am I planning to ✌🏻

I knew bugger-all about it. I was nearly late getting a granddaughter from school as Freshville main road was chaos. I'm driving towards her school, a few miles or so away, and it was jammed solid with people wanting to turn right into the petrol station. 'Course, coming the other way, cars were six or seven deep also waiting to get onto the forecourt and not letting anyone in for fear of missing out. Tossers, every woman and man involved. I blame The Sun for today's panic headline that we're facing rationing of fuel. 

2 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

I knew bugger-all about it. I was nearly late getting a granddaughter from school as Freshville main road was chaos. I'm driving towards her school, a few miles or so away, and it was jammed solid with people wanting to turn right into the petrol station. 'Course, coming the other way, cars were six or seven deep also waiting to get onto the forecourt and not letting anyone in for fear of missing out. Tossers, every woman and man involved. I blame The Sun for today's panic headline that we're facing rationing of fuel. 

Sorry to hear of your experience, but who in their right mind reads The Sun?

madness at archer road,having to mount pavement to go forward,stopping traffic coming out of sainsburys ect,

madness at archer road,having to mount pavement to go forward,stopping traffic coming out of sainsburys ect,