Panic Buying At Petrol Stations?

The petrol station across my road has been extremely busy today. The guys I usually talk to said it's been like it since early this morning. I had a trip to asda at Handsworth and their filling station was very busy too and we queued out of the petrol station and around the entry road to the supermarket. When I chatted to the lady behind the till she said pretty much the same as my local filling station had said. Are people seriously starting to panic buy fuel or are those two petrol stations just unlucky? 

Edited by The_DADDY

It’s manic, but as I was only a third full I had little choice, I’ve now got three weeks of motoring, fingers crossed it will have improved by then.

How can you panic but fuel?unless you're filling drums up.

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

It’s manic, but as I was only a third full I had little choice, I’ve now got three weeks of motoring, fingers crossed it will have improved by then.

Congratulations on being a 'panic buyer'.

And there you have it folks: what is commonly called 'panic buying' can be caused by prudence, provided of course it is adopted by a significant number of people simultaneously anticipating shortages.

8 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

How can you panic but fuel?unless you're filling drums up.

people are loading their cars up with jerry cans apparently!

5 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

And there you have it folks: what is commonly called 'panic buying' can be caused by prudence, provided of course it is adopted by a significant number of people simultaneously anticipating shortages.

well we need petrol on sunday for along journey. I have little choice but to fill up this afternoon now, because its becoming clear everything will have run dry by sunday morning :(

3 minutes ago, nightrider said:

well we need petrol on sunday for along journey. I have little choice but to fill up this afternoon now, because its becoming clear everything will have run dry by sunday morning :(

Congratulations! I can confirm that you too are a 'panic buyer'.

1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

Congratulations! I can confirm that you too are a 'panic buyer'.

Yes, but it's completely rational. If I refrain it won't help because so many others are stockpiling.

2 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Yes, but it's completely rational. If I refrain it won't help because so many others are stockpiling.

Quite so.

How can you stock pile in you car’s fuel tank? I could understand this if folk were filling up fuel containers, but I usually have fuel in my fuel tank.

16 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

As you appear to be an expert on these matters, how much fuel should my car have in it’s tank prior to topping up in order to not make me a ‘panic buyer’ ?

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

As you appear to be an expert on these matters, how much fuel should my car have in it’s tank prior to topping up in order to not make me a ‘panic buyer’ ?

I believe the rule is that if you fill your vehicle today then you are a 'panic buyer' and can hounded by any passing journalist.

8 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I believe the rule is that if you fill your vehicle today then you are a 'panic buyer' and can hounded by any passing journalist.

I’d much rather be ‘hounded by any passing journalist’ than by a self appointed forum expert.

6 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’d much rather be ‘hounded by any passing journalist’ than by a self appointed forum expert.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I have said. I was not intending to cause offence.