Sheffield - Manchester Trains

Is anyone travelling to Manchester regularly? Are the trains really quiet at the moment?

Thanks

They are not quiet. Busy but not packed as they used to be-except for one or two services out of Manchester in the evening(I don't know about Sheffield early morning services).

Despite there being less passengers the number of carriages has been reduced on many of the faster TPE and EMR trains that go via  Stockport.

The new trains and cheaper fares on the Northern stopping service via New Mills Central have seen an increase in popularity.

With no trains(just one) to the airport and many services not going beyond Nottingham/Doncaster the trains are more appear punctual.

The X57 bus (train from Glossop if in a rush) to Manchester makes a change.

I live not too far from the Sheffield end of the tunnel, early morning traffic is as busy as ever, I can’t imagine that the trains are empty, it’s a good job that I love trains.

Commuting time trains are still fairly quiet, most still less than 50% of pre-Covid loadings. That will vary if one or more of the  operators has a problem.

Generally speaking go for the normally 6 coach TPE trains for speed, space  and punctuality. Avoid East Midlands on their Liverpool-Norwich route. They have a shortage of carriages so when it should be a 4 car train it's often only 2. They're more often late and tend to cost more.

Take an extra 20-25 minutes and the Northern stopping service is cheaper and they're operating longer and better carriages than the old Pacers of  recent memory. Some days they may be 3 car new Class 195s.