Sign in to follow this  

Ha, Suits you sir !

Did anyone buy a suit from Weaver to Wearer. That would be in the late fifties early sixties. I bought a few from there and I remember buying a checked trilby when Patrick McGoohan was Danger Man. That was his trade mark hat and part of the fashion scene at that time.

Yes I remember the Weaver to Wearer tailors.the branch I went to was on Haymarket,late fifties early sixties, me and couple of mates had been on holiday in Belgium and, surprisingly had cash when we returned,and W to W had a special offer made to measure suits for I think £8.19/6 so we all decided to invest our remaining holiday money in a made to measure suit each,and I had that suit for years,always looked smart,kept its shape, those were the days!!!!!

Hi there,

Don't know about:thumbsup: Weaver to Wearer but Stewarts & Stewarts on Pinstone St took some beating

I used to get suits from Weaver to Wearer too. Last one I got was made to measure, forget the price but it was charcoal grey, no turnups and single buttoned. Used to wear it to Bramall Lane and once got mistaken for the manager at Woolworths on the moor. Can't imagine dressing up for anything like a football match today but I did then.

I quite agree Chuffinel,next time there are films of football matches on TV look how many are wearing trilby hats!!!

My brother worked for Bill Mackley on Corperation Street,it was a pokey hole,but Bill was a smashing bloke.

Bill Mackley,what superb Tailor!!!,I used to go to him when he had a tiny little shop at the top of Houndsfield Rd,opposite the old Scala cinema,his suits were a joy, and I remember going to the City Hall to see Ted Heath and his Music and the members of the band wore the uniform of maroon blazers so I had one made to measure by Bill Mackley,did it fit??like the proverbial glove! did I feel special!!!going into pub,parties etc and all the blokes eyeing my blazer,navy or black was the norm.One of my mates had never had a made to measure suit so I recommended him to go to Mackleys, he finished up having about four.

What wonderful memories!!!

My brother made me my first ever suit,a grey mohair,I was only 13 but I looked very smart.Bill had a son called Antony ,I used to baby sit for him.

Thanks for replies to date.

I remember when the Italian style suits came in with box style coats and about five cloth covered buttons. Weaver to Wearer on Haymarket was where I went mainly and then I moved on to John Collier.

Nowadays it's mainly off the peg stuff from department stores.