Weston Park Museum

49 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Touche.

Although using the words 'Sunny Delight' must have hurt.

Leave the kids alone, they may have to look after you at some point, & i't won't be Sunny D they will be havin' to clean up for yer!

Keep safe Hecate 8)

It was a genuine question.  No need to have a poke at me because you don't agree.  I'm all for encouraging an interest in science and the arts in older children who'll get something out of exhibits aimed at them, but it seems of questionable worth in an educational context for younger kids who see it as nothing more than a play park.

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

It was a genuine question.  No need to have a poke at me because you don't agree.  I'm all for encouraging an interest in science and the arts in older children who'll get something out of exhibits aimed at them, but it seems of questionable worth in an educational context for younger kids who see it as nothing more than a play park.

Let's start again.

My Scottish humour doesn't always get taken in the spirit it is given.

No poke at you at all Hecate intended.

And nothing do with me not agreeing with you what's so ever.

Is/are/ have museum's become just a giant playground?

Or an ideal place for youngsters to be given an introduction into the past rather than Pepper pig and violent play station games. 

Why should these places be reserved for older children?

Get the children into this environment earlier.

What did we have as kids? 

We were out in one of Sheffield's many parks or at museums, learning.

Would we have loved to be hands on learning even more? you bet.

Should we go back to the 'Keep off the Grass' and 2 bob Hitler park keepers?

Or encourage our youth.

A good example would be places like Creswell crags, give a child a fossil to hold, let him understand the age of the thing, it's history, the lifestyles of the place no longer there.

There has to be more than the little darlings sat in front of  television.

Keep safe Hecate.

Rocker.

8 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

...Is/are/ have museum's become just a giant playground?

Or an ideal place for youngsters to be given an introduction into the past rather than Pepper pig and violent play station games. 

Why should these places be reserved for older children?

Get the children into this environment earlier.

They're not giant playgrounds, and there's certainly a place for exhibits, galleries, demonstrations and so on aimed at children,  Absolutely definitely.  I just don't know how useful an educational experience is having giant spongy uteri and nylon blood vessels for younger children to bounce on  and crawl through at the Science Museum*.  But if there's evidence to suggest that getting them through the door at a very early age translates to repeated non adventure playground visits and engagement with science and arts at a later stage, then that's most excellent too.

As for violent video games, they're age restricted and parents should pay attention to that.  I'm enthusiastically pro age-appropriate video games

What did we have as kids? 

We were out in one of Sheffield's many parks or at museums, learning.

Would we have loved to be hands on learning even more? you bet.

Should we go back to the 'Keep off the Grass' and 2 bob Hitler park keepers?

Or encourage our youth.

I absolutely think children should be encouraged to take an interest in the science and arts, as well as running about on the grass.  Keep off the bowling greens and the flowers though.

A good example would be places like Creswell crags, give a child a fossil to hold, let him understand the age of the thing, it's history, the lifestyles of the place no longer there.

There has to be more than the little darlings sat in front of  television.

Keep safe Hecate.

Rocker.

I agree (though there's some quality stuff for kids on TV)  but I don't think the age group I'm talking about would be able to appreciate the fossils in the way you mention.

*I made this up.  But you know what I mean.

7 minutes ago, Hecate said:

They're not giant playgrounds, and there's certainly a place for exhibits, galleries, demonstrations and so on aimed at children,  Absolutely definitely.  I just don't know how useful an educational experience is having giant spongy uteri and nylon blood vessels for younger children to bounce on  and crawl through at the Science Museum*.  But if there's evidence to suggest that getting them through the door at a very early age translates to repeated non adventure playground visits and engagement with science and arts at a later stage, then that's most excellent too.

As for violent video games, they're age restricted and parents should pay attention to that.  I'm enthusiastically pro age-appropriate video games

I absolutely think children should be encouraged to take an interest in the science and arts, as well as running about on the grass.  Keep off the bowling greens and the flowers though.

I agree (though there's some quality stuff for kids on TV)  but I don't think the age group I'm talking about would be able to appreciate the fossils in the way you mention.

*I made this up.  But you know what I mean.

Hello Hecate.

Made up or not, what an excellent way to introduce a youngster into the rudiments of medicine and the human body.

Unfortunately not all parents have the same moral compass when it comes to video games.

To a certain extent I will agree with television being an excellent medium for education although some of the Political and social mumbo jumbo entwined inside some of the programs aimed at children nowadays should be questioned by parents.

The 'bowling green' is a given but if you were even looking at flowers there was a good chance of being moved on by an over enthusiastic Park'i when we were young.

Remember when no one was allowed on any of the grass in the Botanical Gardens  except for the promenade/ pond area.

Would we want to go back to such restrictions? the answer has to be no. 

Bicycles in parks were a definite No-No.

(Never stopped us riding through Endcliffe park, Bingham, Whiteley woods, Bluebell woods, Porter brook, Wire mill dam, Forge Dam and as far as Porter Clough). Now bicycle riding is an acceptable form of exercise and encouraged (all for the better).

(don't take offence and not a slur)

I am a little confused on what age group you are referring to Hecate

The truth is Children are so technically savvy nowadays (again for the better). Our 3 year old grandson can work his way around a smart phone/ I pad, PlayStation etc with surprising ease something that isn't as unusual as it sounds.

It's their future.

Do we want to go back to only having artefacts in glass cases? 

Watching Hammy Hamster's tales from the river bank? (& certainly not 'the Clangers)

or keeping kids in prams till their 5?

The answer has to be no.

The Art side of things I will disagree with. Art cannot be age restricted (once the little dears have stopped the 'eating the pencil stage'), the earlier the better for me. I was given a pencil and paper and i have carried that tradition on with my children and grandkids .

Children have so much more and art encompasses so many fields nowadays.

(Say's the old Tattoo artist)

Keep safe Hecate.

Rocker.

Is the barrel organ still there?

Do they still play it now and again?

Woah there, you're extracting a lot more from my post than I actually wrote or implied.

21 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Hecate.

Made up or not, what an excellent way to introduce a youngster into the rudiments of medicine and the human body.

Honestly, suggesting that younger kids take anything away from that other than what a fantastic trampolining experience is a bit like suggesting that they get an insight into architecture from scrambling around a bouncy castle. 😀

Unfortunately not all parents have the same moral compass when it comes to video games.

To a certain extent I will agree with television being an excellent medium for education although some of the Political and social mumbo jumbo entwined inside some of the programs aimed at children nowadays should be questioned by parents.

I see where you're going with the TV thing, but I suspect that's the subject for a different thread...

The 'bowling green' is a given but if you were even looking at flowers there was a good chance of being moved on by an over enthusiastic Park'i when we were young.

Remember when no one was allowed on any of the grass in the Botanical Gardens  except for the promenade/ pond area.

Would we want to go back to such restrictions? the answer has to be no. 

Bicycles in parks were a definite No-No.

(Never stopped us riding through Endcliffe park, Bingham, Whiteley woods, Bluebell woods, Porter brook, Wire mill dam, Forge Dam and as far as Porter Clough). Now bicycle riding is an acceptable form of exercise and encouraged (all for the better).

My original question was about the possibly questionable educational relevance and usefulness of interactive museum exhibits for younger children not the various ways in which they might be prevented from play in general or elsewhere.

(don't take offence and not a slur)

I am a little confused on what age group you are referring to Hecate

Pre-school and thereabouts.  The sort of age when they tend to get underfoot ;) .

The truth is Children are so technically savvy nowadays (again for the better). Our 3 year old grandson can work his way around a smart phone/ I pad, PlayStation etc with surprising ease something that isn't as unusual as it sounds.

It's their future.

Do we want to go back to only having artefacts in glass cases? 

Watching Hammy Hamster's tales from the river bank? (& certainly not 'the Clangers)

or keeping kids in prams till their 5?

The answer has to be no.

Never suggested otherwise.  I'm pro technology, and also pro Clangers!  Though if keeping kids in prams prevents them from getting underfoot, then I'm all for that too.

The Art side of things I will disagree with. Art cannot be age restricted (once the little dears have stopped the 'eating the pencil stage'), the earlier the better for me. I was given a pencil and paper and i have carried that tradition on with my children and grandkids .

Children have so much more and art encompasses so many fields nowadays.

(Say's the old Tattoo artist)

Keep safe Hecate.

Rocker.

Is the barrel organ still there?

Do they still play it now and again?

I don't want to restrict them from being artistic!  Ideally keep them away from the oil paints, and don't let them scribble on the cat or the walls with anything permanent, but otherwise roam free.

I feel we've got a little far from my original entry into this thread, so I'll wander off now. 😀

8 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I don't want to restrict them from being artistic!  Ideally keep them away from the oil paints, and don't let them scribble on the cat or the walls with anything permanent, but otherwise roam free.

I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Sorry! I'd turned into Witney Huston then.

Keep safe Hecate.

The problem with kiddifying museums. It’s all great at first. Then the interactive stuff breaks and the stuff that relies on drawing suddenly has no paper anymore. Seen this years ago at the science museum in London, also Magna centre here. I think it’s down to stopping admission charges. Laudable though that sounds in theory it’s presumably why every museum now channels you out through the gift shop. The Royal Armoury in Leeds was the same last time I visited. Gone was the nice big car park and a lot of the displays visibly coated in dust. Exit re routed through gift shop. Can’t remember which politician made the high and dandy statement about making museums free again but the funding clearly doesn’t match up to the rhetoric.

58 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

The problem with kiddifying museums. It’s all great at first. Then the interactive stuff breaks and the stuff that relies on drawing suddenly has no paper anymore. Seen this years ago at the science museum in London, also Magna centre here. I think it’s down to stopping admission charges. Laudable though that sounds in theory it’s presumably why every museum now channels you out through the gift shop. The Royal Armoury in Leeds was the same last time I visited. Gone was the nice big car park and a lot of the displays visibly coated in dust. Exit re routed through gift shop. Can’t remember which politician made the high and dandy statement about making museums free again but the funding clearly doesn’t match up to the rhetoric.

The route out of WPM is not via the gift shop. Nor is it at Millennium Galleries.

Introducing charges results in less visitor footfall which results in less funding from Arts Council, which no amount of visitor charges will replace.

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The route out of WPM is not via the gift shop. Nor is it at Millennium Galleries.

Introducing charges results in less visitor footfall which results in less funding from Arts Council, which no amount of visitor charges will replace.

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Unless it's been altered neither is The Royal Armouries. 

I reckon a trip around Rockers garage would be very interesting...

For the price of a wee haggis, you can view his artefact's.

18 minutes ago, Padders said:

I reckon a trip around Rockers garage would be very interesting...

For the price of a wee haggis, you can view his artefact's.

I've still got the scars from the last time you viewed my artefact's.